This news has been received from: cbslocal.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

DENVER (CBS4) – Ian Desmond will not be playing baseball in 2020. The Rockies outfielder made the announcement in a lengthy Instagram post on Monday night.

Desmond cited both social issues as well as coronavirus as his reasons for sitting out the season.

View this post on Instagram

On my mind.

A post shared by Ian Desmond (@i_dez20) on Jun 29, 2020 at 6:53pm PDT

 

“With a pregnant wife and four young children who have lots of questions about what’s going on in the world, home is where I need to be right now,” said Desmond in his post.

Ian Desmond #20 of the Colorado Rockies poses for a portrait during Photo Day at the Colorado Rockies Spring Training Facility at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick on February 19, 2020 in Scottsdale, Arizona. (Photo by Rob Tringali/Getty Images)

The Rockies are set to begin Summer Camp on Wednesday at Coors Field.

Earlier on Monday Rockies GM Jeff Bridich and manager Bud Black met with the media for more than an hour, and Bridich said he expected everyone to be in attendance when Summer Camp opened. That will obviously not be the case.

RELATED: ‘I’m Encouraged’: Rockies’ Bud Black Happy With Player Reaction To COVID-19

Desmond hit .255 last season with 20 HRs. He was projected to be a starting outfielder in 2020.

Desmond said in his post that instead of focusing his attention on major league baseball in 2020, he’ll be spending time with his family and will spend time helping his old Little League and, “working with everyone involved to make sure we get Sarasota Youth Baseball back on track. It is what I can do, in the scheme of so much. So I am.”

News Source: cbslocal.com

Tags: colorado rockies news coronavirus ian desmond

Hong Kong Court Denies Bail to First Person Charged Under New Law

Next News:

Jacob deGrom: Winning third Cy Young wouldnt feel the same

In his attempt to become only the third pitcher to win as many as three straight Cy Young awards, Jacob deGrom has already considered the implications of accomplishing the feat in a 60-game season.

“I would say there definitely has to be some difference there, 12 starts versus 32 or 33,” the Mets ace said Monday at Citi Field. “There is a lot that can happen in any given start, and you normally play 162 games and 200 innings. I don’t think [winning the award] would feel the same, but it’s definitely still a goal.”

Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson, each with four straight Cy Young awards, are the only pitchers to have won as many as three in a row. DeGrom will be challenged to win No. 3, given the limited room for error. The condensed season will mean pitchers dominating for several starts who might not normally receive Cy Young consideration over a marathon season, will be contenders. And then there is the possibility a reliever could win it, with the relatively small sample size.

Adding to the frustration for deGrom is that when spring training got suspended in March, he felt strong and as if he was throwing the ball better than ever.

“That’s what I think as far as players really stinks with what happened,” deGrom said. “It’s a very unfortunate situation throughout the world with this whole [coronavirus], but as a player you have a short window to perform and be competitive and that’s what I was looking at when I was home. I was like, ‘Man, I felt really good in spring just being out there competing is what I think guys were missing the most.’ You take it now from the All-Star break on and go out there and do all you can do and hopefully maybe win another [Cy Young].”

DeGrom threw two innings in a simulated game on Sunday and indicated his expectation is he will reach 85 pitches by the time camp concludes. When the Mets begin their season on July 24 against the Braves at Citi Field, it will be deGrom on the mound for his second straight Opening Day start.

Skipping the season for precautionary reasons is a thought deGrom says he never entertained.

“Even at home and throughout this whole process I kind of have taken every safety measure that has been advised, so I am just trying to follow the rules and keep myself as safe as possible along with my family,” deGrom said. “They stayed home quite a bit, so I haven’t been out too much or around a lot of people, so … I feel pretty safe.

see also
Steven Matz has Mets gushing after dominant outing Steven Matz was sharp in a three-inning simulated game at...

“I feel really good, continued throwing while I was at home and hopefully got those two or three bad starts out in bullpen sessions at home. Hopefully get off to a good start and keep it rolling and it will eliminate the bad ones.”

As much as winning the Cy Young Award would feel different to deGrom in the shortened season, a World Series title would seem more legitimate.

“As far as the team coming together under these circumstances and figuring out a way to win, I think as a team effort that would take everybody following these guidelines and staying on the field,” deGrom said. “I think that’s something you would definitely celebrate.”

Filed under jacob degrom ,  new york mets ,  7/6/20 Share this article: Share this:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy

Read Next

Aaron Judge makes bold Opening Day declaration

Read Next

Aaron Judge makes bold Opening Day declaration

Share Selection

Columnists
  • Mike Vaccaro Yankees are battle-proven for this crazy baseball season
  • Brian Costello These three Jets have the most to prove
see all columnists Sports Podcast Sports Odds Get the latest odds on all the top sports.


See Odds what to shop now This genius portable pod can purify your water on the go This highly rated app is here to help you achieve your fitness and nutrition goals Le Creuset discounts cookware up to 75% off for flash sale Cole Haan shoes up to 75 percent off during Grand Summer Sale DSW takes up to 50 percent off sandals, sneakers and more for flash sale More Stories page six Ghislaine Maxwell prepared to snitch on big names to save herself nypost Shocking video shows man shot dead while walking with daughter in Bronx New York Post

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Messenger
  • Email
  • YouTube
  • Email Newsletters
  • Mobile Apps
  • Contact Us
  • Tips
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Messenger
  • Email
  • YouTube
  • Sections & Features
    • News
    • Tech
    • Metro
    • Real Estate
    • Page Six
    • Video
    • Sports
    • Photos
    • Business
    • Alexa
    • Opinion
    • Covers
    • Entertainment
    • Horoscopes
    • Fashion
    • NY Post Shopping
    • Sports Odds
    • Living
    • Classifieds
    • Media
  • Newsletters & More
    • Email Newsletters
    • RSS Feeds
    • Store
    • Home Delivery
      • Subscribe
      • Manage Subscription
      • Delivery Help
  • Help/Support
    • Customer Service
    • App FAQ & Help
    • Contact Us
      • Tips
      • Newsroom
      • Letters to the Editor
      • Reprints
      • Careers
  • Apps
    • iPhone App
    • iPad App
    • Android Phone
    • Android Tablet
    • Advertise
      • Media Kit
      • Contact

Post Digital Network

  • Page Six
  • Page Six Style
  • Decider

© 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use Privacy Notice Your Ad Choices Sitemap

Your California Privacy Rights Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New York Post

Would you like to receive desktop browser notifications about breaking news and other major stories?

Not Now Yes Please

Send to Email Address Your Name Your Email Address Cancel Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Email check failed, please try again Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. click to copy

Other News

  • The Giants players with most to prove during 2020 NFL season
  • Colorado Rockies Release 60-Game Schedule
  • Yankees are battle-proven for craziness of 2020 MLB season
  • Big-Name Free Agents Cryptic Message Revs Up Signing Speculation
  • Star Wars Squadron Creative Director Reveals Exciting Hardcore Mode
  • Dodgers Mookie Betts isnt confident in the MLBs safety protocol
  • I Want To Win: Rockies 3rd Baseman Nolan Arenado Says Success Is No Different This Year
  • Former RHOC Star Kara Keough Shares Emotional Message On What Would Have Been Her Sons Three-Month Birthday
  • Reds' Garrett Drops Fears, Speaks Out About Racial Injustice
  • Reds Garrett drops fears, speaks out about racial injustice
  • The Jets players with most to prove during 2020 NFL season
  • Machine Gun Kelly Pays Tribute to Late Dad: ‘Never Felt a Pain This Deep’
  • Megan Fox’s boyfriend Machine Gun Kelly’s father dies as rapper admits he’s ‘never felt a pain this deep’
  • REPORT: Big 10 Football Teams Are Thinking About Scrapping The Season
  • Braves Markakis opts out of 2020 season
  • Ravens Celebrate Mark Andrews With Epic Highlight Reel [WATCH]
  • 3 players who wont be on the Dolphins roster after 2020 season
  • Who Died on ‘Yellowstone’ Season Three Episode 3?
  • Wisconsin Badgers Are Predicted To Win Only 8 Football Games During The 2020 Season