Jun 30, 2020
SF Supe Introduces Anti-Corruption Legislation In Wake Of Public Works Scandal
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – In the wake of the release of a preliminary report about the recent public corruption scandal in San Francisco, Supervisor Matt Haney announced he will introduce an anti-corruption legislative package that aims to close loopholes that were used by the involved city officials.
On Monday, San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera and City Controller Ben Rosenfield released a preliminary assessment report on contracts with the city’s Department of Public Works, recommending ways the agency can improve transparency and strengthen oversight and accountability.
The assessment found procedures and polices related to the city’s contracting process could be strengthened to cut fraud and abuse.
According to Haney, his legislative package will come in a series of ordinances that addresses loopholes in the contracting process.
“The Controller’s analysis makes it clear that we need sweeping structural reform in City Hall. We’ve let years of corruption waste taxpayer dollars,” Haney said in a statement. “City bureaucrats have awarded millions of dollars in contracts to their friends with no oversight.
“And in too many cases they’ve gotten kickbacks for themselves under the table. The casual, blatant corruption in our city government goes far beyond Director (Mohammed) Nuru. We have to root out the bad actors and change the laws that allow pay-to-play politics,” he said.
Haney’s package will address a self-oversight loophole that allowed the Public Works Department to oversee itself without external contract approval; insider contracting that allows the DPW director and other city department heads to hand-pick contractors with no formal process; and donation shakedowns that allowed the DPW director to pressure firms seeking contracts to donate to selected nonprofits and city departments.
The package will also address a gift exemption that allows department heads and other city officials to accept gifts from people seeking contracts; and grant miscategorization that allows contracts to be categorized as grants in order to avoid standard contract processes or approvals.
Since the allegations of corruption first broke earlier this year with the arrest of former Public Works Director Nuru and restaurateur Nick Bovis, Haney has been vocal against the lack of oversight within DPW, which he says resulted in unkempt streets in his district.
“My district right now has inadequate services, poor response times and a total lack of accountability. The brutal reality is that the corruption in these departments is directly connected to the fact that anyone walking downtown is being forced to step in feces and trash. This has to end,” he said.
The preliminary report comes as six people have now been charged in federal court in connection with misconduct and a series of alleged money laundering schemes, including Nuru, Bovis, former Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services Director Sandra Zuniga, and contractors Walter Wong, Balmore Hernandez and Florence Kong.
On Thursday, Haney and Supervisor Gordon Mar will lead a hearing on the preliminary report and its recommendations at the supervisors’ Government Audit and Oversight Committee.
© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
News Source: cbslocal.com
Nathan Bishop takes leading role in Man Utd training as keeper, 20, works with first-team ahead of Aston Villa clash
NATHAN BISHOP has been put through his paces with the Manchester United first-team this week.
The Red Devils have been knuckling down at Carrington ahead of tonight's trip to Villa Park.6Nathan Bishop is on a mission to break into United's senior squadCredit: Getty Images - Getty 6The squad were all smiles as they trained at CarringtonCredit: Getty Images - Getty
United signed England youth star Bishop from Southend United in January.
He is yet to make his first appearance for the senior squad as David De Gea has cemented the No1 spot.
But the 20-year-old was pictured training alongside the likes of Jesse Lingard, Bruno Fernandes and Harry Maguire.MAN UTD NEWS LIVE: Follow for the latest United news
Fernandes trolled Bishop last month after he cheekily lobbed him during training.
The former Sporting Lisbon star shared the footage to his Instagram page with the caption: "Sorry @nathanbishop30."
But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is expected to stick with De Gea for the clash against Aston Villa.6David De Gea will make club history if he plays against Aston VillaCredit: Getty Images - Getty 6Bruno Fernandes and Harry Maguire in action at Carrington Credit: Getty Images - Getty 6The Reds got straight back to business after the 5-2 win over BournemouthCredit: Getty Images - Getty Most read in FootballTRAGEDYFormer Singapore international Hafiz Rahim, 36, killed in horror motorbike accidentHold the front babeCroatian reporter is making headlines for wowing footballers with picsFOOTY STAR SHAMEAlgerian star 'arrested for masturbating in public for 2nd time this year'HAZARD SIGNSHazard forced to pull out of training with ankle injury in blow to title hopesROBIN A LIVINGVan Persie snubs Messi and Ronaldo from three Ballon d'Or nominationsLive BlogUNITED LIVEMan Utd news LIVE: All the latest updates and transfer gossip from Old Trafford
The Spanish keeper equalled Peter Schmeichel's number of appearances in goal for United during the win over Bournemouth.
And he is set to eclipse the Dane's total of 398 games in a Red Devils shirt when he lines up against Dean Smith's men.
Speaking about his No1, Solskjaer said: "He has been the best goalkeeper in the world for the last nine or ten years and he's still keen to learn."6Anthony Martial has scored 20 goals for the Red Devils this season Credit: Getty Images - Getty Man Utd boss Solskjaer hints Paul Pogba could sign new deal after return to form