Jul 01, 2020
Lake County, Indiana COVID-19 Cases On The Rise; Statewide Hospitalizations Also Increase
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CHICAGO (CBS) — The number of COVID-19 cases in Lake County, Indiana continued to rise this week, double or even triple the number of daily cases of three weeks ago. Statewide, hospitalizations have also increased in recent days after weeks of steady decline.
On Monday, Lake County reported 60 new cases of the novel coronavirus, which causes COVID-19.In early June, the county was reporting 20 to 30 cases a day. Last week, on June 24, the county had 71 cases. The seven-day average has risen from those early June lows, a sign that reopening the state comes with a risk of more infection. The percentage of positive COVID-19 tests is above the state average, 12.3%, compared with just over 9%.
Statewide, the number of young people, ages 20-29, now accounts for one of the highest percentages of cases (15.7%). People between 40 and 49 have the highest rates of infection (16.8%)
After a steady decline for weeks, the number of statewide hospitalizations has risen in the past three days, according to state health data. On June 26, 595 COVID-19 patients were hospitalized. On Monday, that number stood at 695. That is still far below the high mark of 1,799 on April 13.
Overall, Lake County is by far the second-hardest hit area in the state, with 4,847 cases and 239 deaths. The Indianapolis area remains the epicenter of the outbreak with 11,329 cases and 679 deaths. Across the state there have been a reported 45,595 cases and 2,448 deaths.
While cases in some areas of Indiana are on the rise, that state still has plenty of ICU beds and ventilators available to treat the most seriously ill patients.
Elkhart County, which has experienced a surge in cases in the past two, weeks ranks No. 3 in the state with 3,041 cases.
Officials are still urging Hoosiers to wear masks in public and practice social distancing and avoid large gatherings.
News Source: cbslocal.com
COVID-19 : Jackson to suspend elective surgeries amid increased hospitalizations for COVID-19 .
Elective and non-emergency surgeries will be discontinued by the Jackson Health System and some patients will be transferred to another facility only for COVID-19 patients, after registering continuous increases in the number of patients with coronavirus.
In a statement released Wednesday, the Jackson Health System said it will begin limiting procedures to urgent and emergency cases beginning July 6, due to the “continued increase” in COVID-19 patients.
“Our clinical leadership has been working diligently during this pandemic to ensure that the safety of our patients and employees is of paramount importance,” the statement said.
In a statement Wednesday to the Miami-Dade County Commission, Jackson Chief Executive Carlos Migoya said that COVID-19 patients and the use of Intensive Care Units (ICU) have doubled in the past two weeks in the hospital system, one of the largest in the state.
Migoya said that about a third of the patients who tested positive for COVID-19 presented at the hospital due to other emergencies.
Baptist Health officials also said they are suspending procedures that require the patient to spend a night in the hospital, although they will continue to perform surgeries in which the patient goes home the same day.
Meanwhile, the former Pan American Hospital building in Miami-Dade will reopen Wednesday as a 120-bed facility for coronavirus patients only. About 90 patients are expected to be transferred there in the coming days, including about 30 from Jackson.