Jul 01, 2020
Buffalo protester knocked to ground by police is out of the hospital weeks later, lawyer says
This news has been received from: FOX News
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Buffalo protester Martin Gugino was released from the hospital Tuesday after spending nearly a month there for injuries he sustained when two police officers pushed him to the ground.
Gugino, 75, is currently recovering at an undisclosed location in an effort to shield his privacy, according to ABC 7.
Two Buffalo police officers pleaded not guilty to assault earlier this month after they were seen on camera shoving Gugino to the ground during a George Floyd protest.
"Martin wants to thank the entire hospital staff for their exceptional dedication and professionalism," she said. "He received truly outstanding care and for that, he is grateful."
TEXAS BAR OWNERS SUE GOV. ABBOTT OVER CORONAVIRU RESTRICTIONS: 'IT'S DISCRIMINATION'Video
Officers Robert McCabe and Aaron Torgalski were both charged with second-degree assault, a class D felony. They were each released without bail after a hearing and are scheduled to return to court on July 20.
Zarcone had previously claimed that Gugino suffered a fractured skull and brain injury as a result of the June 4 encounter with authorities.
“I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured," she told CNN in a statement two weeks ago.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Zarcone added: "While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired. He is appreciative of all of the concern about him but he is still focused on the issues rather than himself."
Fox News' Chris Irvine and Louis Casiano contributed to this report.Nick Givas is a reporter with Fox News. You can find him on Twitter at @NGivasDC.
News Source: FOX News
Protester who said he was hit by car charged with filing false report
A protester who claimed to have been hit by a car on Long Island was charged Wednesday with filing a false report, police said.
Keith Harrison was at the Black Lives Matter protest in Huntington Station Monday around 6:45 p.m. when a man struck one of the marchers with his SUV, according to Suffolk County Police.
Harrison, 56, allegedly filed a police report stating that he’d also been hit — but an investigation proved otherwise, cops said.
Police have said that another man was injured when Anthony Cambareri allegedly plowed into the group of about 20 marchers.
Jeremiah Bennett, 26, bounced off the hood of the vehicle and sustained damages to his wrist, arm and back, the Long Island Herald reported Wednesday.
“This man tried to kill people with his car,” Bennett wrote on Facebook, according to the paper.
Another protester posted a video of cops catching up with Cambareri after the crash, in which he can be heard telling them: “This man hit one of our protesters with his car.”
Cambareri, 36, was charged with third-degree assault and given a desk appearance ticket. A date for his arraignment has not yet been set.
Harrison, meanwhile, was nabbed at home in Milford on Wednesday afternoon. He was issued a desk appearance ticket on a count of falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.
His arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip is set for July 28.