Jul 01, 2020
Coronavirus: California closes disaster relief assistance applications for undocumented immigrants
This news has been received from: mercurynews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
California has already paid out more than $41 million in assistance and expects to disburse $125 million to individuals who are ineligible for other forms of economic assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic due to their immigration status.
Of the $125 million, $75 million is being provided by state funds for disaster relief assistance and the additional $50 million was pledged by a group of philanthropic partners.
Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the state’s Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants in April, which was created to give $500 payments to undocumented adults who qualify and were ineligible to receive pandemic unemployment benefits or assistance under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
The application process ran from May 18-June 30 and while qualifying individuals were eligible for $500 of assistance, payments were capped at $1,000 per household.
Of the roughly 150,000 applicants expected to receive financial assistance, 30,000 are in the Bay Area and have already had applications approved. A regional application summary shows more than 26,000 undocumented immigrants in Bay Area counties including Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco have received their payments.
The California Department of Social Services chose 12 organizations that serve undocumented immigrants to help individuals apply for and receive funds in their region. Catholic Charities of California was selected to disburse funds in the Bay Area.
Nearly 10% of California’s workforce is undocumented and when the governor announced the program, he noted that undocumented individuals contributed $2.5 billion in state and local taxes last year.
News Source: mercurynews.com
Tags: mr roadshow sal pizarro opinion columnists cartoons election endorsements pac 12 hotline celebrities weather mr roadshow sal pizarro opinion columnists cartoons election endorsements pac 12 hotline celebrities immigration
US closes 5 military bases in Afghanistan as part of Taliban peace deal
The U.S. closed five military bases in Afghanistan as part of an agreement signed with the Taliban more than four months ago, a U.S. official confirmed to Fox News.
The deal promised to withdraw all U.S. forces from the bases in the first 135 days, a milestone met on Tuesday, President Trump’s special representative to the talks, Zalmay Khalilzad, said.
"The U.S. has worked hard to carry out the 1st phase of its commitments under the Agreement, including to reduce forces & depart five bases. NATO troops have come down in proportional numbers," Khalilzad said on Twitter.
TALIBAN, DESPITE 'PEACE' TALKS, LED THE WORLD BY FAR IN 2019 TERRORIST ATTACKS, STUDY FINDS
Afghan media outlet Tolo reported the five U.S. bases that closed are located in Helmand, Uruzgan, Paktika and Laghman provinces, in southern and eastern Afghanistan.
The larger U.S. bases in Bagram, located outside Kabul, and Kandahar Air Field in southern Afghanistan remain open.
U.S. troops patrol at an Afghan National Army (ANA) Base in Logar province, Afghanistan August 7, 2018. REUTERS/Omar Sobhani
Another major stipulation of the proposed peace deal brokered in Doha in February between the Taliban and the U.S. is the large-scale withdrawal of American troops in Afghanistan.
The U.S. slashed the number of troops in the region to 8,600, down from a high of over 100,000 in 2010.
Despite the reduction in U.S. troops as part of the agreement, violence between the Taliban and Afghan forces has spiked in recent months, according to the Afghan government.
Just a day before the base closures, the Taliban detonated a car bomb at a government facility in Samangan province's capital Aybak, near the office of the National Directorate of Security (NDS), a key intelligence agency, killing 11 security personnel and wounding at least 63 civilians, including children.
Afghan security personnel inspect the site of a car bomb blast on an intelligence compound in Aybak, the capital of the Samangan province in northern Afghanistan, Monday, July 13, 2020. Taliban insurgents launched a complex attack on the compound that began with a suicide bombing, officials said. (AP Photo)
ARMY'S 'CAPTAIN AMERICA' DIES BY SUICIDE AFTER NEARLY A DOZEN COMBAT TOURS
The surge in violence across the nation targeting Afghan forces is likely a tactic to strongarm the government into releasing nearly 600 additional Taliban prisoners before the group considers measures to end the nearly two-decades-old war in the region.
"We condemn today's attack. The use of major explosives to detonate a vehicle in a provincial capital is unacceptable and will strengthen those who oppose peace and plays into the hands of spoilers. All sides must reduce violence" Khalilzad tweeted on Monday.
"Violence has been high, especially in recent days & weeks. Afghans continue to die in large numbers for no reason. The Taliban's attack today in a provincial capital contradicts their commitment to reduce violence until a permanent ceasefire is reached in intra-Afghan talks," he added.
The government has released 4,199 Taliban prisoners and the Taliban 779 members of pro-government forces, according to figures provided by both sides, Al Jazeera reported.
Despite the prisoner exchanges on both sides as called for in the U.S.-Taliban deal, talks for a mutual peace agreement have been at a standstill, delaying its kickoff that was supposed to begin in March.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
"As we look to the next phase of implementation under the agreement, our approach will remain conditions-based," Khalilzad said. "We will press for completion of prisoner releases, reduction of violence, complete delivery on CT commitments and start of and progress in intra-Afghan negotiations."Vandana Rambaran is a reporter covering news and politics at foxnews.com. She can be found on Twitter @vandanarambaran