This news has been received from: wtop.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

NEW YORK (AP) — Harvey Weinstein and his former studio’s board have reached a nearly $19 million settlement with dozens of his sexual misconduct accusers, New York state’s attorney general and lawyers in a class-action lawsuit said Tuesday.

The agreement was announced by New York Attorney General Letitia James and Chicago attorney Elizabeth A.

Fegan.

The deal, if approved by judges in federal courts, would permit accusers to claim from $7,500 to $750,000 from the $18.8 million settlement.

The former Hollywood producer was convicted earlier this year of rape and sexual assault against two women. Accusations by dozens of women in 2017 destroyed his career and gave rise to #MeToo, the global movement to hold powerful men accountable for their sexual misconduct.

The 68-year-old former film producer was diagnosed in March with the coronavirus just days after he was moved to the state’s maximum security Wende Correctional Facility near Buffalo to begin serving his 23-year prison sentence.

“This settlement is the culmination of several years of hard work by survivors who not only initiated the #MeToo movement around Weinstein, but also used their platforms to seek justice for all of those who were afraid to come forward for fear of retaliation in Hollywood,” Fegan said.

Included in the news release was a statement by plaintiff Caitlin Dulany, who said Weinstein isolated and assaulted her after they met in 1996 at the Cannes Film Festival.

“When I came forward and shared my story about the assault, I knew there wouldn’t be a straight path to justice,” Dulany said.

“Harvey avoided accountability for decades, leveraging his power to hide behind a web of deceit, and I was determined to join the class action to ensure meaningful change for all survivors,” she said. “I am proud that this settlement will help so many women who are long overdue for justice and relief.”

James said in a release that the deal would resolve claims in a New York state lawsuit and in a class-action lawsuit that was pending in federal court.

“After all the harassment, threats, and discrimination, these survivors are finally receiving some justice,” James said.

She called it “a win for every woman who has experienced sexual harassment, discrimination, intimidation, or retaliation by her employer.”

Gerald Maatman, lead counsel for the Weinstein Companies, declined comment.

Messages seeking comment were left for Weinstein and individuals on his former studio’s board.

Attorneys Douglas H. Wigdor and Kevin Mintzer, who represent some of Weinstein’s accusers in lawsuits, said in a statement that the proposed settlement was “a complete sellout of the Weinstein survivors.”

They called it “deeply unfair,” saying it does not require Weinstein to accept responsibility and doesn’t require him to pay any money toward it. They also said the director defendants will receive millions of dollars to reimburse their defense costs.

The lawyers said the deal would also harm women who do not join the settlement because they would be unable to pursue large amounts of money from insurance companies which would receive protection from the deal.

“We are completely astounded that the Attorney General is taking a victory lap for this unfair and inequitable proposal, and on behalf of our clients, we will be vigorously objecting in court,” the lawyers said.

Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

News Source: wtop.com

Restaurant And Bar Owners To Meet With Allegheny Co. Executive Over Alcohol Ban

Next News:

Verizon adds free Disney+, Hulu streaming to some Fios packages

Verizon

There are a couple of conditions to keep in mind. The first of which is that the included Hulu subscription gives you access to the platform’s ad-supported tier, not its more expensive ad-free plan. Moreover, the base 200Mbps plan, which costs $40 per month, isn’t included in the deal. However, it still comes with a free year of Disney+. 

One other thing to note is that you’ll need to cancel the included Disney+ and Hulu subscriptions if you don’t want to pay for them beyond the time that you have access to them for free. Otherwise, they’ll automatically renew, costing you $13 per month together. The promotion ends on September 23rd, after which it’s possible to redeem the trials until December 23rd. Lastly, the deal is also available to returning customers. 

Other News

  • Which sales offer more July 4th bang for your buck?
  • UNC Wilmington Professor Gets $504K Settlement With School
  • Booker Reaches Out to Unite Democrats Against McConnell
  • Booker reaches out to unite Democrats against McConnell
  • Sia Says She Kept Maddie Ziegler Safe From Disgusting Harvey Weinstein
  • Sia says she protected Maddie Ziegler from Harvey Weinstein
  • How Sia Protected 11-Year-Old Dance Moms Alum Maddie Ziegler from Harvey Weinstein
  • Sia says she protected Maddie Ziegler from ‘disgusting’ Harvey Weinstein
  • Sia says she protected Maddie Ziegler from disgusting Harvey Weinstein
  • Sia claims she stopped her dancer Maddie Ziegler from getting on a plane with Harvey Weinstein
  • 'Breath of Relief:' Jeffrey Epstein Accusers Welcome Ghislaine Maxwell's Arrest
  • Air medical company agrees to $78 million settlement for overtime
  • AG James helps win $18.9 million settlement for victims of Harvey Weinstein
  • Survivors in Weinstein lawsuit to receive $18.8 million settlement, but some consider it ‘sellout
  • Sia reveals she stepped in to stop dancer Maddie Ziegler, 17, from getting on Harvey Weinstein’s plane
  • COVID-19 : United States reaches another bleak milestone for coronavirus, but expert says theres still time to turn things around
  • Sia Talks Being Protective Of Maddie Ziegler, Intervened When Harvey Weinstein Wanted The Dancer On A Plane
  • Harvey Weinstein victims to receive $ 19 million in compensation .
  • Maryland Food Bank Reaches $12M Goal To Fund COVID-19 Response Plan