Jul 01, 2020
Senior Trump campaign official reassigned in staff shakeup
This news has been received from: thehill.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
President TrumpDonald John TrumpTop intelligence officials release statements criticizing leaking of Russian bounties information Russian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing: reports Senators will have access to intelligence on Russian bounties on US troops MORE’s reelection campaign has announced a staff shakeup just over four months before the general election as polls show him trailing former Vice President Joe BidenJoe BidenRussian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing: reports House Dems to offer up road map to solve the climate crisis Supreme Court ruling could unleash new legal challenges to consumer bureau MORE.
Michael Glassner, who organizes Trump’s rallies, is being reassigned to a legal role within the campaign, and Jeff DeWit, a former Arizona state treasurer and Trump's 2016 Arizona chair, will come on as chief operating officer.
The shakeup, which was first reported by Axios and confirmed by a campaign official to The Hill, comes after a rally two weekends ago in Tulsa, Okla., where the president garnered embarrassing headlines after being unable to fill the arena and several campaign staffers contracted the coronavirus.
The campaign denied the moves had anything to do with the rally and indicated Glassner remains in the president’s good graces. Glassner has been among original hires on the Trump campaign dating back to 2015.
“This is not a reaction to Tulsa. Michael Glassner is moving into the long-term role of navigating the many legal courses we face, including suits against major media outlets, some of which will likely extend beyond the end of the campaign. He is one of the founding members of Team Trump and his dedication to the success of the President is unmatched,” said campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh.
Many outside observers anticipated a shakeup within the Trump campaign after the Tulsa rally, which was widely viewed as a faulty event.
Speculation has also surrounded the position of campaign manager Brad ParscaleBradley (Brad) James ParscaleMORE, though his job is reportedly said to be safe.
The Tulsa rally was the first such event for the Trump campaign in three months after it had essentially been grounded by the coronavirus pandemic.
The campaign conducted temperature checks, provided hand sanitizer to attendees and passed out masks, but did not enforce social distancing measures and many attendees declined to put on the face coverings. Multiple campaign staffers and two Secret Service agents later tested positive for COVID-19.
The rally had already been thrust under an avalanche of scrutiny after it was initially scheduled for Juneteenth, the annual celebration of the end of slavery, in a city known for one of the worst instances of racial violence in the country’s history. The president, in a rare admission of the rebukes, moved the rally one day later.
While the president is known to thrive on the raucous campaign rallies, his campaign scrapped an upcoming rally to be held in Alabama next week due to the coronavirus.Tags Brad Parscale Donald Trump Joe Biden
News Source: thehill.com
Trump official use John Lennon quote to push hydroxychloroquine
President Donald Trump is back to hawking hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus treatment, despite repeated and recent warnings about the anti-malaria drug from the Federal Drug Administration (FDA).Hide
In May, Trump said he was taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure, though there is no evidence that it offers such protection.Hide
At that time, the drug was being studied for its potential effects on patients who had already contracted the virus, though there were doubts it offered any benefits and concerns that it might even cause more harm than help.
Still, Trump’s endorsement of the drug proved powerful, with supporters of the president attempting to get their own doses, whether by doctor or dark web.
In a tragic turn, an Arizona couple ingested a different chloroquine product after listening to the president, causing both to be hospitalized. The husband later died.Hide
During the weeks since, the FDA and the World Health Organization (WHO) have halted their trials of hydroxychloroqine, with the FDA issuing a statement that it shows “no benefit for decreasing the likelihood of death or speeding recovery,” and that “dosing for these medicines are unlikely to kill or inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19.”
Just days ago, the FDA released a review of safety issues with the drug, which includes the serious issues some COVID-19 patients experienced after taking hydroxychloroquine, including “serious heart rhythm problems and other safety issues.”
There has been one recent study that came to a different conclusion, though—and that’s the one Trump chose to tweet about on Monday night.Hide
“The highly respected Henry Ford Health System just reported, based on a large sampling, that HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE cut the death rate in certain sick patients very significantly. The Dems disparaged it for political reasons (me!). Disgraceful. Act now @US_FDA @TuckerCarlson @FoxNews,” he posted, tagging the FDA in the post.Donald J. Trump/Twitter Hide
The Henry Ford Health System study, released July 2, found the drug cut mortality rates nearly in half.
“Considered in the context of current studies on the use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19, our results suggest that the drug may have an important role to play in reducing COVID-19 mortality,” said the study’s co-author, Dr. Marcus Zervos, who leads the division of Infectious Disease for Henry Ford Health System.
However, as CNN reported, other researchers have been critical of the study, pointing to issues with the sample population, including the choice of patients selected to receive the drug and the fact that a number of the participants are still hospitalized.Hide
In a news conference, Dr. Steven Kalkanis, the CEO of the Henry Ford Medical Group, responded to the fact that these findings seemingly contradicted those of other studies, saying, “We also want to make the point that just because our results differ from some others that may have been published, it doesn’t make those studies wrong or definitely a conflict. What it simply means is that by looking at the nuanced data of which patients actually benefited and when, we might be able to further unlock the code of how this disease works.”
The lack of conclusive evidence in either direction hasn’t stopped the Trump administration from standing by the drug. The morning after Trump’s hydroxychloroquine-endorsing tweet, White House adviser Peter Navarro praised the repeatedly drug on CNN.
“I can help save some lives here today by raising awareness about this medicine,” Navarro said Tuesday, adding, “Give peace a chance and give hydroxy a chance, it can save lives.”Hide
- Mike Cernovich suggests Atlanta mayor’s coronavirus diagnosis is a conspiracy
- Trump criticizes Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians for considering name change
- ICE says foreign students taking online-only courses may need to leave U.S.