Jul 01, 2020
Arizona ammo supplier to Las Vegas massacre gunman gets prison time: reports
This news has been received from: FOX News
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
An Arizona man who authorities said sold illegal tracer and armor-piercing bullets to the Las Vegas massacre gunman was sentenced to prison Tuesday, according to multiple reports.
Douglas Haig, 57, of Mesa, will spend 13 months in federal prison for manufacturing ammunition without a license,according to Nicholas A.Trutanich, U.S. attorney for the District of Nevada. Haig had pleaded guilty to the federal charge last November.
"This case arose out of the investigation into the October 1, 2017 mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas," prosecutors said. "In the hotel room from which the shooter staged his attack, investigators located a box with a shipping label setting forth Haig’s name and address."
LAS VEGAS SHOOTING SURVIVORS RECALL 'CHAOS AND TURMOIL' OF HORRIFIC NIGHT, MEETING RESCUER, IN NEW DOCUMENTARY
Douglas Haig leaves the Lloyd George Federal Courthouse, in Las Vegas, Nov. 19, 2019. (Associated Press)
Still, Haig was not accused of a direct role in the shooting that killed 58 people and injured more than 850 -- described as the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Senior U.S. District Judge James Mahan imposed the sentence but separated Haig from the actions conducted by the gunman, Stephen Paddock.
Paddock killed himself as responding law enforcement officers moved in on him, authorities have said. His precise motivation for the shooting remains a mystery.
“The person who did that, who committed that reprehensible act, we can only hope now that he’s being punished for eternity,” Mahan said, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “He’s escaped punishment on this earth.”
Defense attorney Marc Victor added that Haig had no indication of the plans by the gunman.
“Doug was absolutely devastated when he learned of the tragedy," Victor said.
Haig illegally sold various types of ammunition between July 2016 and October 2017, court documents showed, according to Fox 5 Vegas. A fingerprint examination found his prints on two pieces of armor-piercing ammunition removed from a magazine in the shooter’s hotel room, prosecutors said.
Agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) conducted a series of interviews with Haig, starting on Oct. 2, 2017, where he admitted to meeting the shooter and selling him ammunition. Haig reportedly was not authorized to sell the ammunition and didn't have a federal firearms license, prosecutors said, according to the station.
ARIZONA MAN WHO SOLD AMMUNITION TO LAS VEGAS MASSACRE GUNMAN PLEADS GUILTY
Agents seized "hundreds of pounds of ammunition and ammunition components" on Oct. 24, 2017, after executing a search warrant at Haig's residence. Ammunition or firearms-related equipment was found in nearly every room, including a workshop they said was converted into an ammunition manufacturing operation that Haig was in the process of automating, according to prosecutors.
He reportedly used the workshop to conduct a business named Specialized Military Ammunition where he sold the ammo on the internet and at gun shows around the country. Paddock also purchased the ammunition from Haig through the business, which he closed permanently following the FBI raid, the paper reported.
Victor had previously argued that as the only person to face a criminal charge following the shooting, Haig could not be fairly judged by a jury drawn from the trauma-scarred Las Vegas community. Mahan had ordered Haig, an aerospace engineer, to self-surrender to the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) by Oct. 2, 2020.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
In September, Haig's lawyers are expected to ask the judge to consider the possibility of the coronavirus pandemic leaving him susceptible to serious illness before he is scheduled to start serving his sentence, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Mahan said BOP officials can decide whether Haig may serve some of his prison time at home.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.David Aaro is a Reporter at Fox News Digital based in New York City.
News Source: FOX News
COVID-19 : students organize COVID parties where whoever gets infected wins
Students in Alabama – who have tested positive for the coronavirus – organize COVID parties in which they make a game where whoever gets infected first wins, authorities reported this Friday (03.07.2020), at a time when the pandemic is increasing in the southern states United.
The news first emerged on June 30, when the Tuscaloosa County Fire Chief near the university town of Birmingham confirmed the rumors at a councilors meeting. “We did an investigation. We were confirmed not only by the doctors’ offices, but also the state said it had the same information, “said firefighter Randy Smith.
Officials in Tuscaloosa, Alabama say some students are throwing parties, competing to see who can catch COVID-19 first. According to Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKistry, party organizers intentionally invite… https://t.co/c9DzcnOgGY
– Jovana Lara (@ abc7jovana) July 4, 2020
Alabama, in the southeast, is now one of the new outbreaks of COVID-19 in the United States, along with other states such as Arkansas, Arizona, Texas, Florida and the Carolinas. Tuscaloosa Councilwoman Sonya McKinstry explained to the local press that these are parties where the bet is to get infected.
What do they do in the COVID parties?
According to the authorities, there are students who “collect money in a boat and then try to grab the COVID. Whoever gets it first wins the pot. It doesn’t make sense, ”said McKinstry. “They are doing it on purpose,” he added.
The pandemic has claimed the lives of nearly 130,000 people in the United States, a thousand of them in Alabama, where cases have increased exponentially in the past two weeks.
No further information on the festivals has been released. Authorities did not release the youth’s identity or the number of events that could have taken place. However, shortly after the report of the firefighter Smith, the city councilors of the city of Tuscaloosa approved the mandatory use of masks.
Masks will be required in public in Tuscaloosa, effective July 6 https://t.co/ChIZelIRBy
– Sonya McKinstry (@MckinstrySonya) July 1, 2020