Jul 01, 2020
Women who worked at Weinstein’s company and were harassed by the mogul to ‘receive part of a $19M payout’
This news has been received from: the-sun.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
A NUMBER of Harvey Weinstein's alleged victims will receive part of a $19 million payout, as part of a deal brokered by the New York state attorney.
Former employees of The Weinstein Company, which is the subject of a class action lawsuit, who “experienced a hostile work environment, sexual harassment and gender-based discrimination” are eligible for part of the compensation fund.6 Disgraced film mogul Harvey WeinsteinCredit: PA:Press Association
The agreement will also wipe out any confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements Weinstein's victims signed with the company or any of its former reps.
In March, Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of forcibly performing oral sex on former “Project Runway” staffer Miriam “Mimi” Haleyi in 2006 and raping hairstylist Jessica Mann in 2013.
More than 100 women have accused the fallen Tinseltown tycoon of harassment and sexual misconduct.
The Attorney General’s office filed the suit against Weinstein, his brother Bob Weinstein, and the film production company in February 2018.6 Attorney General Letitia JamesCredit: AP:Associated Press 6 Harvey Weinstein and Bob WeinsteinCredit: Rex Features 6 Harvey Weinstein arrives at a Manhattan courthouse as jury deliberations continue in his rape trial in New YorkCredit: AP:Associated Press
The lawsuit accuses the brothers of violating state codes against sexual harassment and intimidation, and the office said there
The agreement still needs to be approved by the district court presiding over the case, a press release from New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office noted.
"Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Company failed their female employees," James said. "After all the harassment, threats, and discrimination, these survivors are finally receiving some justice."
The investigation included an "exhaustive review" of hundreds of thousands of company records and emails.
"Weinstein subjected female employees to demeaning work tasks as a condition of their employment, such as procuring his erectile dysfunction injections and cleaning up after his sexual encounters," the AG office's statement continued.
"He also demanded or forced female employees to engage in unwanted sexual contact as a quid pro quo for continued employment or career advancement."6 Film producer Harvey Weinstein exits New York Criminal Courtroom for his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City 6 Harvey and Bob Weinstein in Los Angeles, 1989Credit: Rex Features
However one attorney representing six women who worked for Weinstein described the settlement as a "complete sellout".
“We are surprised that the Attorney General could somehow boast about a proposal that fails on so many different levels,” Douglas Wigdor of Wigdor LLP said, according to Page Six.
The lawyer listed five grievances, including how within the proposed settlement Weinstein “accepts no responsibility for his actions” and isn’t paying a dime of his own money towards the compensation.
Weinstein was recently accused of having sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl in Jeffrey Epstein's Paris flat.
The allegation was made by a woman who also says she was abused by the disgraced millionaire and now feels guilty she introduced her teenage sister to Epstein and his then girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell.
While telling her own allegations of abuse Chauntae Davies also revealed that her sister had been sent to a school by the millionaires so she could achieve her dream of becoming a translator but was also secretly abused while studying there.
Davies said: “There was an altercation that took place in Jeffrey’s Paris apartment with Harvey Weinstein.
“My sister came running from the room freaked out at whatever he said and did in there.
“Immediately Harvey Weinstein’s assistant got involved, trying to remedy the situation by sending flowers and apology notes.”
She added: “Jeffrey and Harvey are both very disgusting people who use their power to manipulate abuse.”
News Source: the-sun.com
Fiat Chrysler Recall: Steering Wheel Part Can Be Projectile
DETROIT (AP) — Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 1.2 million older minivans and SUVs worldwide because plastic emblems on the steering wheels can loosen and become projectiles if the driver’s air bag is inflated in a crash.
The recall covers Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan minivans from the 2008 through 2010 model years, as well Dodge Nitro SUVs from 2007 through 2011.
The company says the emblems are held by clips that can loosen and disengage over time and get hurled at drivers if there is a crash. No passengers sitting in other seats have been hurt, the company says.
Fiat Chrysler says drivers who notice loose emblems should contact a dealer and should not tamper with them. The company says it no longer uses the clips in its vehicles.
Owners will be notified of the recall starting next month. Dealers will replace the air bag covers on the steering wheel at no cost to owners.
Customers with concerns can call Fiat Chrysler at (800) 853-1403.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.