This news has been received from: usnews.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

By Gregory Scruggs

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Seattle crews on Tuesday used heavy machinery to remove some barricades around the city's "autonomous zone", as die-hard anti-racism demonstrators camped out for a fourth week despite legal and political pressure to end their protest.

Following four nights of gun violence in the last 10 days that left two black teenagers dead and two more people hospitalized, the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest (CHOP) outside an abandoned police precinct has diminished in size and scope.

Medic stations, a mobile health care clinic, and multiple free food tents in a police-free zone set up in the wake of George Floyd's death in Minneapolis police custody have dwindled to a single free kitchen.

The crowds that came by the thousands to listen to speeches about police brutality and marvel at street art commemorating black lives, have disappeared.

But at least 100 activists remain in the streets, having occupied the area since police on June 8 moved street barricades and vacated their East Precinct station in a move city officials say aimed to reduce tension.

President Donald Trump has demanded the state and city eject the protesters, calling them "domestic terrorists", but city authorities have so far taken a nonconfrontational approach.

The removal of three of the six concrete barricades - which city workers installed to improve traffic flow and ensure protester safety - found no resistance. However, protesters quickly replaced the barricades with things like couches, plywood, and signs.

"We are grateful that (Seattle Department of Transportation) had given us these barricades to begin with," David Lewis, a product manager at Lululemon who has been organizing protests in Seattle since late May, told Reuters. "More lives would have been lost a couple of days ago as that drive-by (shooting) happened."

In the latest shooting on Monday, a 16-year-old boy was killed and a 14-year-old boy remained in critical condition.

Police investigations into the shootings have been hampered by lack of access to the site. But the zone has also become a place to party at night and the shootings do not appear to be politically motivated, protesters say.

"Enough is enough," police chief Carmen Best, who is Black, said Monday at a news conference outside the abandoned precinct. She reiterated her goal to move police back into the East Precinct but gave no timeline.

CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS

Businesses in the area, a trendy neighborhood of hipster bars and boutiques, have also had enough. Attorneys have filed two class action lawsuits against the City of Seattle: one on behalf of nearby businesses and residents for depriving them of access to their property and another to prevent city and state leaders from allowing the establishment of any future "lawless autonomous zones."

The first lawsuit established a June 26 deadline to initiate a plan to remove the protest, which prompted Mayor Jenny Durkan to hold a closed-door meeting with protesters and hash out a proposal to begin removing barricades.

"It's time for people to go home," Durkan told a news conference last week, a day before proposing a 5 percent cut to the Seattle Police Department budget. Protesters have called on the city to "defund the police" by cutting its budget in half.

Later on Tuesday, the parks department closed Cal Anderson Park to remove trash and assess property damage following three weeks of occupation, but indicated they would not remove or alter artwork or a newly planted community garden.

One block away, two employees with the city's Human Services Department offered referrals to shelters for people sleeping in tents.

Protest leader Lewis said he appreciated the city's efforts. "We are not against the city," he said. "We are Seattle against (the police department). Period."

(Reporting by Gregory Scruggs; editing by Bill Tarrant and Richard Pullin)

Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.

News Source: usnews.com

Tags: news countries news

Demonstrators Block Off 35W Bridge, Protesting Killing Of Hachalu Hundessa

Next News:

St. Louis mayor won’t quit, office says, after ‘RESIGN LYDA RESIGN’ painted near City Hall

Lyda Krewson, the embattled mayor of St. Louis -- who has faced repeated protests over the past two weeks -- won’t be stepping down anytime soon, her spokesman said Friday.

Communication Director Jacob Long issued the statement Friday morning, after work crews were seen trying to remove the message “RESIGN LYDA RESIGN,” which had been painted in the street outside City Hall overnight between Thursday and Friday, according to reports.

“Mayor Krewson is not distracted by any of this and remains focused on what she was elected to do: addressing the needs of more than 300,000 St. Louisans who are counting on her to help get them through multiple public health and economic crises, including a worldwide pandemic,” Long said, according to KSDK-TV of St. Louis.

Also Friday morning, police cleared an "Occupy City Hall STL" camp that gathered outside the building, The Riverfront Times reported. Protesters had planned to stay until Krewson stepped down, the report said.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson speaks during a news conference at City Hall, Sept. 19, 2017. (Getty Images)

Krewson, 66, a Democrat and native of Iowa who has been mayor of St. Louis since April 2017, has been under fire since a Facebook Live briefing in late June, when she read the names and partial addresses of at least 10 protesters who called for the city to defund the police.

The mayor later apologized for reading the information and for causing “distress or harm to anyone,” but also noted the names and addresses were already “public information.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

A group of protesters who claimed to be heading to Krewson’s home June 28 prompted St. Louis couple Mark and Patricia McCloskey to take up arms that day, fearing damage to their property as the protesters passed by.

The couple has been the subject of an investigation since then, and on Friday night had one of their weapons seized by authorities executing a search warrant at their home, KSDK reported.

It wasn’t immediately clear if the McCloskeys were charged with any crimes.

Fox News' Danielle Wallace contributed to this story.

Dom Calicchio is a Senior Editor at FoxNews.com. Reach him at dom.calicchio@foxnews.com.

Other News

  • Chop in Seattle: Why this police-free protest zone ultimately failed
  • St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters have a history of suing neighbors
  • US coronavirus infections surge for the FOURTH consecutive day, with more than 70,000 Americans testing positive to COVID-19 in just 24 hours
  • South Dakota Sheriff, Protest Organizer Differ on Escalation
  • Man ‘points a GUN’ at Black Lives Matter protesters after stopping his car near them in middle of protest
  • Seattle Police Department Says Theyll Fire Most of Their Non-White Officers If the City Cuts Police Budget
  • Israelis Protest Against Government Response to Coronavirus
  • Seattle Police Chief: 50% Defunding Would Decimate Public Safety
  • Search for "Glee" actress Naya Rivera continues for fourth day
  • Search for Naya Rivera enters fourth day: ‘Our goal is to bring the family closure’
  • Coronavirus Illinois: Chicago reopens more Riverwalk, clamps down on bars as city enters 1st weekend since quarantine order
  • Animal Rights Protesters Dye Fountains Red in London's Trafalgar Square
  • Allegheny Co. Health Department Announces More Than 200 New Coronavirus Cases For Fourth Day This Week
  • Reopenings: Frei, Vega Standout As Seattle And San Jose Play To 0-0 Draw In MLS Tourney Opener
  • Protesters Block Traffic In Denver To Raise Awareness About Unrest In Ethiopia
  • Hazard reappears for the fourth time and points to the home stretch
  • Coronavirus doesnt slow SJ Earthquakes in strong start to MLS tournament
  • Frei, Vega standout as Seattle and San Jose play to 0-0 draw
  • Seahawks Quinton Dunbar Faces New Surprising Accusations: Report