Jul 01, 2020
LA City Council Votes Unanimously To Replace Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams For Nonviolent Calls
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The L.A. City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to replace police officers with a team of unarmed crisis response teams for nonviolent emergency calls.
“This is the dawn of a new era of public safety in Los Angeles,” Councilman Herb Wesson said on Twitter. “The bottom line is that the way things have been going is not working for our communities.This last month has made that crystal clear. We have a responsibility to listen to our people, and our people have spoken. I look forward to continuing this work alongside (Black Lives Matter-LA).”
The nonviolent service providers would respond to calls related to mental health issues, neighbor disputes, substance abuse incidents, and other situations that law enforcement may not be best suited to handle — a step that BLM-LA co-founder Melina Abdullah has been pushing for years.
“More often than not, when such calls become violent, they become violent at the hands of police,” she said.
TJ Tarjamo, the director of LAPD’s union, said that while he may not agree with Abdullah on that, he does support the idea of a community response team for these situations, as long as they are properly developed and not “knee-jerk reactions that are designed to appease current hashtags.”
MORE: Only On: LAPD Chief Michel Moore Talks About Department’s Future
The Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority and the county Department of Mental Health will weigh in on the development of the model, according to the motion.
“This won’t solve all of our problems right away, but this move marks a sea change in our city’s approach to public safety, and I’m optimistic cities and counties across the nation will follow our lead,” Wesson said.
Councilmen Marqueece Harris-Dawson, Mike Bonin, Curren Price and Wesson suggested that the city consider using L.A. Department of Transportation staff or automated technology to enforce traffic laws, including speeding, illegal turns, and other vehicle code violations.
“For years, police officers have used traffic enforcement as an excuse to harass and demean Black motorists while violating their rights,” Harris-Dawson said. “We do not need armed officials responding to and enforcing traffic violations. This practice is expensive, costing the city millions and far too many innocent people their lives.”
If the proposal is adopted, LADOT staff and other city officials would consult with community members and try to develop other methods of enforcement that do not rely on armed officers.
“Driving while Black or Latino should not be a crime, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a young person of color who has not had a negative interaction that began with an alleged traffic infraction,” Wesson said. “It’s common sense. We don’t need an armed response to a broken tail light or a traffic accident. This is a logical next step to reimagining public safety in Los Angeles.”
Wesson said police departments nationwide have, for a long time, used minor traffic violations as a pretext for profiling Black people and other people of color. Data have shown that LAPD stops and searches Black and Latino motorists far more often than whites, the councilmen said.
It was not clear which city council committee might hear the proposal first.
(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)
News Source: cbslocal.com
Wigan desperate to offload with two potential buyers put off by crisis club’s £19m payroll
The Latics are fighting for their lives on the pitch and, off it, in an EFL court appeal against their 12-point deduction for going into administration.3Kyle Joseph is one of several players potentially leaving Wigan this summer
But the transfer market could yet be the hardest battle of all.
Administrator Gerald Krasner hopes to raise about £5million for bills that include payments to Barnsley, Everton and Portsmouth due next month.
Midfielder Jensen Weir has left for Brighton, but Wigan need to shift more players in a rush.
I can also reveal that TWO interested parties have looked at the club’s books but the £19m payroll put them off.
Even if the Latics get the financial benefit of staying in the Championship next season, it would still mean fortunes are needed to keep the club going.
However, Sheffield United have joined Leicester in the chase for young Wigan striker Kyle Joseph.3Antonee Robinson could finally complete his move away from the clubCredit: Getty Images - Getty 3Clubs across the Premier League, Championship and Scotland are taking a look at Joe GelhardtCredit: Getty Images - Getty
The Blades like the Scotland youth cap, who could be snatched from the troubled outfit for a low fee.
Foxes have been chasing Joseph, while Celtic also admire him. In the end the decision will be down to the club that offers the clearest route to the first team.
Leicester are also hovering for Latics defender Antonee Robinson if Ben Chilwell leaves the King Power.
West Brom want him, but would have to secure promotion to bid.
Striker Joe Gelhardt could also find a new home as Tottenham, Everton, Southampton, Leeds and Celtic consider a move. Remarkably Wigan failed to lodge a new three-year contract and his current deal has just a year left.Most read in ChampionshipPicturedSURREAL ESTATEMark Hughes puts huge £5m mansion on market which includes a tennis courtRUDI HELLGutless Christensen and Rudiger get just 1/10 in embarrassing Sheff Utd lossASK SHREEVESSir Alex Ferguson told Geoff Shreeves to f*** off in row over Ronaldo penaltyLive BlogMadRID 2 Alaves 0 - LiveAsensio adds to Benzema pen as Los Blancos edge towards titleLive BlogUNITED LIVEMan Utd news LIVE: All the latest updates and transfer gossip from Old TraffordPicturedLAW AND BEHOLDFans miss Lawro's 'thatched roof' as MOTD legend shows off new shaved head
However, any fees raised for those three would not lower the payroll enough.
There could be interest in skipper Samy Morsy and midfield mate Joe Williams, but their wages are high by Championship standards.
Centre-half Cedric Kipre could get a move, while keeper David Marshall may be allowed to go for free.
The payroll will have to drop to about £7-8m even if Wigan stay up. A source close to one buyer said: “It’s a hard deal to do right now with the salaries they have.”Wigan administrator Paul Stanley says there are a dozen investors showing interest in the football club