Jul 05, 2020
Yoenis Cespedes looks like a monster
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Luis Rojas was optimistic and Michael Conforto was flat-out effusive, lavishing praise upon his teammate.
It’s just two days into spring training 2.0, but Yoenis Cespedes already has the Mets believing he can make a major impact in this abbreviated 60-game season.
“He looks like a monster,” a smiling Conforto said on Saturday on a Zoom call from Citi Field.“He looks like he’s motivated. He looks like he’s in shape. I’ve seen some of the stuff he was doing to get himself ready, some videos of him working out at his ranch, the guy is definitely hungry.”
Cespedes, who missed all of last season and most of 2018 multiple leg injuries, regularly took live batting practice and caught fly balls in the outfield during shortened spring training. Rojas received positive reports that he was sprinting during the COVID-19 layoff, offering hope of a return to action. On Friday and Saturday, Cespedes took part in light workouts without any limitations.Yoenis CespedesCorey Sipkin
The first-year manager cautioned that in the days to come there will be more tests for Cespedes as workouts increase in intensity and he has to prove capable of running the bases. So far, though, positives abound, especially with the advent of the DH in the National League, giving the slugger the chance to avoid playing the field full-time.
“He is moving good,” Rojas said. “He looked really good, footwork, and also going on fly balls. He had a couple of line drives back, line drives in and so he looked good getting into position off the fungo, so I am looking forward to keeping that progression off the bat seeing things and maybe when we get some live at-bats he can play back there on defense.”
It’s been a while since the 34-year-old Cespedes last played for the Mets, his last game coming on July 20, 2018. Since, he has undergone surgery on each of his heels and sustained ankle fractures in an accident on his ranch involving a wild boar. Now he is playing for a contract, in his final season of a four-year, $110 million contract. When healthy, he has produced, reaching two All-Star Games and leading the Mets to the postseason in his first two years with them in 2015 and 2016.
He would obviously be a significant addition to an already formidable lineup. It would deepen the Mets’ batting order, creating a potentially potent 3-4-5 of Cespedes, Pete Alonso and Conforto.
“He’s just a guy you miss having around,” Conforto said. “I’m excited that he’s back and he’s feeling good. Hopefully he can do what he does best for us and really bring the thunder with his bat and make some great plays in the outfield.”
News Source: newsbrig.com
Inter Milan plot Chris Smalling transfer swoop as Conte looks to sign his FOURTH Man Utd star after amazing Roma season
ANTONIO CONTE is looking to raid Manchester United again and add Chris Smalling to his Inter Milan squad.
The defender was deemed surplus to requirements by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last summer and was shipped off to Roma on a season-long loan.2Antonio Conte is looking to raid Manchester United againCredit: AP:Associated Press 2Chris Smalling is the new man who the Italian wants to bring to Inter MilanCredit: Rex Features
He shone in Serie A and made 30 league appearances and even managed three goals and two assists.
His defending also saw him dubbed "Smalldini" in reference to Italian legend Paolo Maldini.
Roma are desperate to keep the former Fulham man, who will miss out on their Europa League quest this month, but have been put off by United’s £21m asking price.
Juventus have also been linked with a swoop for Smalling, and now it seems he has another of Italy’s big boys chasing his services.
Gazzetta claims Conte is plotting a move to add the 30-year-old to his ex-United men at the San Siro.
Last summer he moved to bring both Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez from Old Trafford.
Ashley Young then joined them at Inter in January.
Now Conte could be about to add his FOURTH former United man if he completes the potential transfer of Smalling.MAN UTD NEWS LIVE: Click here for the latest United news Most read in Footballcrackers for pollyWho is Pollyanna Woodward? Golfer Paul Casey's wife and TV presenterPicturedTYSON TAKES A DIVETyson 'scared to death' as he puts shark to sleep by tickling its noseLive BlogON THE MOVETransfer news LIVE: Follow all the latest gossip and confirmed dealsPicturedZHU BEAUTYMeet PGA champ Morikawa's stunning girlfriend who caddies for him but also playsRIP KAMALAWWE legend James ‘Kamala’ Harris dies aged 70 from coronavirusLive Bloggunners newsArsenal transfer news LIVE - Latest updates from the Emirates
And today’s report also states that the “good relations” between United and Inter could help to get the deal done.
However, it also re-affirms Juventus’ keenness to get Smalling.
And that could scupper the chances of Conte securing the England international.