Jul 31, 2020
Victims of Kentucky pipeline explosion sue line operator
This news has been received from: wtop.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
DANVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A lawsuit filed on behalf of those who were injured or who had property damaged in a fatal Kentucky pipeline explosion alleges the operator failed to maintain and repair the line.
The lawsuit filed Thursday by Danville attorney Ephraim W. Helton listed more than 80 people affected by the blast last August near Junction City, The Lexington Herald-Leader reported.
Lisa Denise Derringer, 58, died and at least five others were hospitalized following the explosion, according to a federal report.
The lawsuit accused operator Texas Eastern Transmission LP, a subsidiary of Canadian energy company Enbridge, and others of “failing to properly build and maintain the line, failing to identify and correct hazardous conditions, operating the pipeline at a dangerously high pressure and not having an adequate emergency plan,” among other allegations, the newspaper said, citing the lawsuit.
The 30-inch-wide (76-centimeter-wide) pipeline moved natural gas under such high pressure that the flames reached about 300 feet (91 meters) in the air and could be seen throughout the county, Kentucky State Police spokesman Robert Purdy said at the time.
The flames damaged or destroyed more than a dozen homes and scorched 30 acres (12 hectares) of land, according to authorities.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating whether corrosion could have caused the blast, and the Pipeline Hazardous Materials Safety Administration announced in an April report that there were defects in the pipeline that the operator missed, the Herald-Leader said. The agency ordered the operator to review two decades’ worth of tests to determine whether there could be additional remaining defects in the line.
An Enbridge spokeswoman said the company had no comment on the lawsuit, according to the newspaper.
The investigation by federal authorities remains ongoing.
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
News Source: wtop.com
'A lab coat is white, my wedding dress is white: The woman from a viral video of a bridal shoot interrupted by the Beirut explosion was a doctor who rushed to tend to wounded victims still in her wedding dress
Firefighters spray water at a fire after an explosion was heard in Beirut, Lebanon August 4, 2020. R REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
- Last week, 2,750 tons of high-density ammonium nitrate exploded in Beirut.
- A video of a bridal photoshoot interrupted by the explosion went viral.
- The bride, 29-year-old Isra Seblani, who is also a doctor tended to the wounded, The Washington Post reported.
- "The lab coat is white, my dress is white. The style is different," Seblani said.
- More than 150 people were killed and 5,000 more injured from the explosion.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
Isra Seblani was posing for her bridal photoshoot when an explosion went off in the Port of Beirut last week.
A video of the impact of the explosion as Seblani was posing went viral, and the 29-year-old doctor told The Washington Post that while initially fearing she would die she used the moment to aid those who were wounded.
"That moment, one thing I thought about was now I'm losing my life, I'm losing my husband, I'm gonna be buried under a building," Seblani said in an interview with ABC7.—linah | لينة (@mohammadlinah) August 5, 2020
Seblani, who is an American citizen told The Post she went to Lebanon to see her husband, who she had been postponing marrying for three years as he waited for his immigrant visa.
She said that as she heard the explosion, her one wish was to be able to hold her parents' hands if she was going to die.
"When we hear the explosion and the pressure ... one thing came into my mind. Isra you are now going to die. You are going to lose your life, your husband, your dreams..... now you're losing all this," She told The Post.
However, finding a safe place in a restaurant, Seblani saw people were injured.
Still, in her wedding dress, she began tending to the wounded.
"When we went inside the restaurant, I was looking around me people who were dining in, people who were shopping and as life was normal before the explosion. Now everyone is yelling, shouting, crying, and bleeding. So, I started to help some people who got injured, telling them to relax, we are all good, we are still alive and we will be fine," She said. "I couldn't think about myself anymore. I felt like I'm here to do my job."
In Arabic, Sebalni said she chose to be a doctor to give something back to the world, anything she was capable of doing.
Bride Israa Seblani poses for a picture with her husband Ahmad Subeih in Beirut REUTERS/Yara Abi
"Your job starts here, you should go for it," she said of her reaction.
More than 150 people were killed and 5,000 more were injured when 2,750 tons of high-density ammonium nitrate exploded in the city last Tuesday. The explosion occurred as the country was reeling from the worst economic crisis in decades with millions on the brink of poverty.
The explosion destroyed homes, buildings, and hospitals, some of which had to treat patients outside or send them to other facilities to receive care.
"The lab coat is white, my dress is white. The style is different," Seblani said.