This news has been received from: CNN

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

(CNN)A congressional panel accused the Trump administration of vastly overpaying for 43,000 ventilators during the coronavirus pandemic after mismanaging the negotiations for a critical contract.

The staff report written by a House Oversight subcommittee blames the administration for accepting ventilator manufacturer Philips Respironics' first offer in March 2020, agreeing to a higher price than every other American purchaser negotiating a contract with the company between mid-December 2019 and May 2020.
The report claims that the Trump administration could have overpaid by as much as $500 million, comparing its contract to one negotiated by the Obama administration in 2014. The report cites "thousands of pages of previously non-public documents," including emails between Philips and the Administration. Both the White House and Philips reject the report's conclusions.
    The report says that the company and the federal government agreed in 2014 for "the development and purchase" of 10,000 ventilators for $3,280 apiece. After granting Philips multiple deadline extensions on the Obama-era contract, the Trump administration's Department of Health and Human Services agreed to a new contract purchasing 43,000 units of a different ventilator model for $15,000 apiece even though other American purchasers negotiated cheaper contracts with Philips, according to the report.The panel's staff wrote that "there is no indication" the ventilators purchased in 2020 provided "any benefit" over the ventilators at the center of the negotiations between Philips and the Obama administration. Read MorePhilips told the subcommittee staff that under the contract struck with the Trump administration, it is not obligated to finish its delivery of the ventilators until September 2022, according to the report. It sent 200 ventilators to HHS in June, about six weeks after the panel's probe formally began, the report states.Philips said on Friday that the 2014 contract was "chiefly a research and development contract" in which HHS also requested ventilators at prices "considerably lower than commercial prices." The company said the 2020 contract offered the US government a "discount" since the list price for the ventilators chosen by HHS is more than $21,000.The congressional report found that HHS paid more for Philips ventilators than more than 90 other purchasers in the United States. The subcommittee claimed that the vast majority of US purchasers were able to negotiate prices to between $9,327 to $12,133 per unit compared to the US government's agreed upon price of $15,000."The American people got ripped off, and Donald Trump and his team got taken to the cleaners," said Illinois Democratic Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, the chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, in a statement. "The Trump Administration's mishandling of ventilator procurement for the nation's stockpile cost the American people dearly during the worst public health crisis of our generation."But Judd Deere, a spokesman for the White House, called the report "partisan," "misleading" and "inaccurate.""This partisan report is nothing more than a stunt that is only meant to politicize the coronavirus," wrote Deere. "Because of the President's leadership, the United States leads the world in the production and acquisition of ventilators. No American who needed a ventilator was denied one, and no American who needs a ventilator in the future will be denied one. Democrats should be ashamed of themselves for this misleading and inaccurate report."The report is also harshly critical of Philips, accusing it of profiteering during a crisis. The leader of Philips Respironics' parent company strongly disputed the report's findings.
      "We do not recognize the conclusions in the subcommittee's report, and we believe that not all the information that we provided has been reflected in the report," said Frans van Houten, CEO of Royal Philips, in a statement. "I would like to make clear that at no occasion, Philips has raised prices to benefit from the crisis situation.""Philips is proud to make its contribution to combatting the pandemic through its acute patient care and diagnostic products," he added.

      News Source: CNN

      Tags: the trump administration the subcommittee the subcommittee the ventilators

      Tennis : Gasquet beaten in half and injured

      Next News:

      How Arsenal could line up with Coutinho, Partey and Willian in new 4-3-3 formation as Arteta plots transfer overhaul

      ARSENAL boss Mikel Arteta is ready to add at least three big-name signings to bolster his squad this summer, according to reports.

      Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho, Atletico's Thomas Partey and Willian are all at the top of the Spaniard's shortlist as Arteta looks to perfect a 4-3-3 formation, write the Times.

      4

      Arteta's FA Cup win in his debut managerial campaign has encouraged the owners to back the boss this summer to transform his side into top four challengers once again.

      ARSENAL NEWS LIVE: Follow for the latest Gunners news

      And his transfer budget has been boosted by the £25million cash windfall the club will receive following qualification for the Europa League.

      Arsenal are believed to be the frontrunners to land Coutinho after being told he is free to leave Barca this summer.

      A loan move appears the most likely scenario with Barcelona contributing to his £240,000-a-week wages.

      He also wants to add the experienced Willian who remains in a contract dispute with Chelsea.

      The Brazilian, who is out of contract at the Blues within a matter of weeks, has reportedly rejected a two-year extension at Stamford Bridge.

      It is a huge boost to Arsenal who believe they can get a deal over the line for the 31-year-old eager to stay in London.

      And Atletico's Partey remains a key target for Arteta who wants to add steel to his midfield.

      The defensive enforcer has a £45m release clause in his contract with his current deal expiring in 2023.

      Lining up alongside him is likely to be Dani Ceballos with the Gunners on the brink of extending his loan deal from Real Madrid into next season.

      Arteta's central defence is also a key priority and he is ready to sanction a deal to sign long-term target Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig.

      His current deal expires next summer and the Gunners believe they have a chance at landing him on the cheap.

      But the manager's main priority will be to secure the future of striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

      The Gabon star has reportedly been offered a bumper £250,000-a-week three-year deal to commit his future to the Gunners.

      Speaking over his future, Arteta challenged his top-scorer to pen a new deal and become a club legend.

      After watching him score twice in Wembley's FA Cup final, Arteta said: "Scoring is the most difficult thing in football.

      4Arteta wants Philippe Coutinho to bolster his attackCredit: AFP or licensors 4Willian is braced to leave Chelsea on a free transferCredit: Reuters 4 Most read in FootballPicturedMAKING WAVESGeorgina Rodriguez stuns as she soaks up sun in bikini on Ronaldo's yachtWEATHER THE STORMHow Kieron Dyer ended up at Mayweather's mansion with 'women everywhere'PicturedSOR SUBJECTNeymar's ex-girlfriend Soraja Vucelic almost pops out of dress in steamy selfieLEW-DICROUSRobert Lewandowski's £166k-a-week Real Madrid contract from 2013 leakedHAMMER AND TONGWest Ham says ballots will decide which season ticket holders can see gamesGossipCOUT PRICE DEALArsenal in talks over Coutinho loan with Barca paying share of £240k wages

      "He makes it look simple — look at the second goal.

      "We have always had incredible strikers at this  club and Auba deserves to be named and compared with the big names.

      “By winning trophies he will be closer to them and,  hopefully, we can have him for longer."

      Arsenal hero Emiliano Martinez wins over yet more fans after being heard saying ‘I don’t care about money’ after cup win

      Other News

      • China Accuses US Of Harassing Chinese Researchers Amid Series Of Arrests For Lying About Beijing Ties
      • US Democrats Issue Subpoenas in Probe of State Department Watchdog Firing
      • Donald Trump Signs Executive Order Curbing H-1B Outsourcing
      • Vikings sign GM Spielman to multi-year contract extension
      • Trump Signs Another Executive Order Restricting H1B Visa Opportunities
      • Arsenal have ulterior motive for wanting to sign Willian
      • Trump falsely accuses Nevada of using COVID-19 to “steal” election by mailing ballots to voters
      • REPORT: White House Considering ‘Unilateral’ Action On Coronavirus Relief After Congressional Negotiations Stall
      • ‘We Are In A Great Position’: Vikings GM Rick Spielman Gets Contract Extension
      • Arsenal give Willian ‘biggest offer and three-year contract’ with Brazilian in advanced talks over switch from Chelsea
      • Vikings sign GM Rick Spielman to multi-year contract extension
      • Philips’ Lumea Prestige IPL is now £150 off – and it has raving reviews
      • Donald Trump Contradicts Dr. Birx, Says US Doing Much Better Than Other Countries In Handling China Virus
      • China Accuses US of Harassing Chinese Students, Researchers
      • China accuses US of harassing Chinese students, researchers
      • Poll: 7-in-10 Voters Support Trumps Exclusion of Illegal Aliens in Congressional Apportionment
      • After Encounter With Boyfriend Led To Administration Of Ketamine, Minneapolis Woman Accuses Hennepin Healthcare EMS And MPD Of Racism
      • San Antonio, Bexar County sees uptick in COVID-19 related deaths for Sunday
      • EXCLUSIVE: Here Is The Full Witness List For The Congressional Hearing On Antifa Violence