This news has been received from:

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

A performer, left, raps as a man dances during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse Thursday, July 30, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — More than a thousand people showed up in downtown Portland early Saturday to peacefully protest, about three days after the announcement that the presence of U.

S. agents there would be reduced — a deal that Oregon officials hope will continue to ease tensions as the city tries to move on from months of chaotic nightly protests.

Friday’s overnight protest mimicked that of Thursday, which was the first time in weeks that demonstrations ended without any major confrontations, violence or arrests. The change in tone outside a federal courthouse that’s become ground zero in clashes between demonstrators and federal agents came after the U.S. government began drawing down its forces in the liberal city under a deal between Democratic Gov. Kate Brown and the Trump administration.

As of midnight on Saturday, no federal agents had emerged from the courthouse, which has been the center of protests for weeks, and there was no noticeable law enforcement presence surrounding the area.

The fence that has separated protesters and U.S. agents stationed at the courthouse was decorated with balloons and upside down American flags sewn together with “BLM” painted across, an apparent reference to the Black Lives Matter movement.

READ MORE: Portland NAACP president: Portland BLM protests have become ‘white spectacle’

At one point in the night a small firework was shot over the fence. As it sizzled out on its own, protesters pleaded with others to remain peaceful. Later, a few small fires were occasionally started outside the courthouse, with at least one put out by other protesters.

Unlike previous weeks, protesters were not centered mainly outside the courthouse, but scattered throughout downtown.

A crowd gathers during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse Thursday, July 30, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

A group identified as “Firefighters for Black Lives Matter” gathered in a small park a couple miles west of the courthouse. Another group, “Unemployed Workers for Black Lives” began to march towards the federal building around 8 p.m. People stood next to a makeshift memorial, with the pictures and names of Black people killed by police, at the Waterfront Park. A parade of cars with Black Lives Matter signs taped to their windows slowed traffic in the city.

Just after midnight, the crowd had grown to over 1,000 people who remained outside chanting “Black Lives Matter” and shouting the names of Black people killed by police. Groups were also standing together engaging in conversations about social injustice.

As agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the U.S. Marshals Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement pulled back, troopers with the Oregon State Police took over. Since then, there have been no visible signs of any federal law enforcement presence outside the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse.

In a tweet, President Donald Trump Friday night reiterated that the Department of Homeland Security “is not leaving Portland until local police complete cleanup of Anarchists and Agitators!”

Homeland Security is not leaving Portland until local police complete cleanup of Anarchists and Agitators!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 1, 2020

“Last night, the world was watching Portland,” Brown said in a tweet Friday. “Here’s what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability.”

Last night, the world was watching Portland. Heres what they saw: Federal troops left downtown. Local officials protected free speech. And Oregonians spoke out for Black Lives Matter, racial justice, and police accountability through peaceful, non-violent protest.

— Governor Kate Brown (@OregonGovBrown) July 31, 2020

Mayor Ted Wheeler also struck an optimistic tone but cautioned that there was much work to be done after more than 60 days of protests — and not just in cleaning up downtown Portland.

Leaders in Oregon are pushing for a raft of measures that would address systemic racism in everything from policing to housing. Those proposals could be fast-tracked for consideration in a special legislative session later this summer.

READ MORE: Portland protesters file lawsuit against U.S. government

The governor also announced the creation of a Racial Justice Council to advise her on criminal justice reform and police accountability, health equity, economic opportunity, housing and homelessness, and environmental justice.

Portland’s City Council also voted this week to refer a ballot measure to voters in November that would create a police review board independent from any elected official or city department.

The scene outside the federal courthouse stood in sharp contrast to the violent clashes between protesters and the agents that Trump sent to Oregon’s largest city in early July. Protests have roiled Portland for more than two months following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

And while thousands have marched and rallied peacefully, Portland’s federal courthouse became a target for some protesters. Smaller numbers of demonstrators tried to tear down a fence erected to protect it, lit fires at the courthouse entryway and hurled fireworks, flares and bricks at the agents holed up inside. Most nights, the agents responded by firing tear gas.

Under the deal announced by the governor, the agents will withdraw in phases.

The U.S. government had arrested 94 people as of Wednesday, the most recent accounting. Since the protests began, Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said local police made more than 400 arrests.

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

Loading the player...

News Source:

Tags: black lives matter federal courthouse for black lives the courthouse outside the

Judge starts new injunction barring Lee statue removal

Next News:

John Hume, civil rights campaigner, Peace Prize winner dead at 83

John Hume, a Nobel laureate and Roman Catholic civil rights campaigner who laid the groundwork for Northern Ireland’s Good Friday peace agreement died early Monday, his family said.

Hume, who was hailed as a hero for the Irish people, died in a care home in his native Londonderry, his family said in a statement. He was 83.

The campainger, credited with kick-starting peace negotiations in a British region rocked with violence in the early 1990s, shared the Peace Prize with Northern Ireland’s then-first minister, David Trimble of the Protestant Ulster Unionist Party.

Former British prime minister Tony Blair, in office at the time of the Good Friday accord, called Hume “a political titan; a visionary who refused to believe the future had to be the same as the past. His contribution to peace in Northern Ireland was epic.”

Former US President Bill Clinton, who considered Hume a friend, credited him with “marching on against all odds towards a brighter future for all the children of Northern Ireland.”

John Hume in 1985Getty Images

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson praised Hume as a “political giant” and Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin lauded him as a “great hero” for the Irish people.

Back in 1968, Hume joined a movement to protect the civil rights of the province’s pro-Irish Catholic minority, battling discrimination by the pro-British Protestant majority.

Hume, a leader of the moderate Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), called for non-violence amid clashes between Irish nationalists who wanted a united Ireland and forces, including the British Army, fighting to maintain the region’s British status.

More than 3,600 were killed in clashes in the region by 1998.

With Post wires

Other News

  • Shocking video shows blood-soaked Black Lives Matter protester chasing ‘attacker’ after being STABBED outside courthouse
  • Malala Yousafzai Fast Facts
  • Portland boy, 15, arrested after allegedly pointing fake gun at crowd
  • CHP: Fake gun drawn in Highway 101 road rage incident
  • Zimbabwe President Unapologetic About Arrests of Critics
  • Portland protester stabbed outside federal courthouse, cops say
  • Portland man, 18, charged with assaulting US Marshal throughout courthouse protest
  • Portland man, 18, charged with assaulting US Marshal during courthouse protest
  • ‘Drop the knife!’ Portland protester stabbed outdoors federal courthouse, cops say
  • Drop the knife! Portland protester stabbed outside federal courthouse, cops say
  • Kanye West officially names his running mate as presidential campaign presses on
  • Portland man, 18, charged with assaulting US marshal during courthouse protest
  • The Hiroshima/Nagasaki Accord (Online Event)
  • Portland Police Chief Debunks Democrats Peaceful Protest Claim in NYT
  • Hume, who shared Nobel Prize over N. Ireland work, dies at 83
  • Portland Protesters Left ‘Frustrated’ As Demonstrations Evaporate Following Fed Pullout
  • John Hume dead – Peacemaker hailed as one of Ireland’s greatest heroes and the Martin Luther King of the peace process
  • John Hume dead at 83: Nobel Peace Prize winner and Northern Ireland political leader dies after dementia battle
  • Sunday Demonstrations in Portland Described as Peaceful