Aug 01, 2020
Trump threatens to ban TikTok in the US: I have that authority
This news has been received from: thegrio.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
President Trump (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump told reporters Friday that he plans to ban the increasingly popular TikTok social media app in the United States.
CNN reports that he made the statement while flying on Air Force One.
“As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the United States,” the president said, stating an executive order could be coming as early as Saturday.
It is, however, uncertain if such as ban is possible.
“Well, I have that authority,” Trump claimed.
READ MORE: K-pop fans, TikTok users claim credit for low turnout at Trump Tulsa rally
TikTok is owned and operated by Chinese company ByteDance. Trump’s criticism of the company also comes amid renewed rhetoric against China and the country’s trade practices.
TikTok, through U.S. head, issued a response Saturday morning to Trump’s wishes to outlaw the application.
“We’re not planning on going anywhere,” U.S. General Manager Vanessa Pappas said in a TikTok post that was also shared to Twitter — the president’s preferred social platform.
Pappas highlighted that 1,500 American employees work for the app and that the company plans to higher 10,000 more in the country over the next three years.
A message to the TikTok community. pic.twitter.com/UD3TR2HfEf— TikTok (@tiktok_us) August 1, 2020
News also broke later Friday that software giant Microsoft is interested in acquiring the video platform. The potential purchase comes as the Trump administration pressures ByteDance to divest TikTok, a byproduct of the company’s 2017 purchase of Musical.ly, the New York Times reports.
TikTok gained fame for being a platform that users can create and release short-form videos, chiefly comedy or music-related content. The app was downloaded more than 315 million times between January and March, alone.
However, it has been the subject of national security concerns from lawmakers in Washington.
CNN reported last year that the metadata and other informational data from its users may be subject to being reported to the Chinese government, which has prompted politicians on both sides of the aisle, including Sens. Chuck Schumer of New York and Tom Cotton of Arkansas, to request investigations by the U.S. intelligence community.
READ MORE: Social media talent manager talks achieving success as a Black TikTok creator
Both senators allege it could be used “to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.”
TikTok stated in 2019 that all user data from American users are stored in the United States and other countries.
“Our data centers are located entirely outside of China, and none of our data is subject to Chinese law,” the company stated. “Further, we have a dedicated technical team focused on adhering to robust cybersecurity policies, and data privacy and security practices.”
The timing of Trump’s push to ban TikTok is curious, however. According to the New York Times, various users of the app disclosed that they used the app as a method to sabotage the Trump campaign’s June rally in Tulsa, Okla.
Several users posted videos to rally others to RSVP for the rally with no attention of going to ensure a low turnout. The President’s campaign claimed over 2 million people applied for tickets, but only 6,200 people were in attendance at the 19,000-seat venue.
Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!Loading the player...
News Source: thegrio.com
Tags: the company
Bolivias political crisis threatens hospitals and patients
LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — Hooked up to ventilators, 11 prematurely born infants struggled for survival Thursday in the intensive care ward of a Bolivian maternity hospital.
The babies’ supply of oxygen is in peril, doctors say, because of nationwide blockades by supporters of the party of former President Evo Morales who object to the recent postponement of elections. Bolivia’s political crisis adds to the burden on its health care system, which was already grappling with the coronavirus as it continues to spread across one of Latin America’s poorest countries.
Street unrest erupted after the Supreme Electoral Tribunal moved the planned vote from Sept. 6 to Oct. 18 following warnings from medical experts that it would be unsafe to hold the election while the pandemic was not yet under control. It was the third time the vote has been delayed, angering protesters who accuse the government of interim President Jeanine Áñez of simply trying to hang on to power.
Now, after about 10 days of blockades, supplies are threatened in some hospitals that are also dealing with an escalating number of COVID-19 patients, according to officials.
U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres appealed to Bolivian institutions to negotiate solutions to the country’s multiple problems, spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said.
“He calls on the organizers of the protests to ensure the safe passage of ambulances, oxygen and medicines and allow the delivery of goods and services essential to the population,” Dujarric said Tuesday.
The struggle for control of Bolivia threatens its most vulnerable people. At the public Women’s Hospital in La Paz, pediatrician Dr. Hugo Tejerina said oxygen reserves for the infants were almost exhausted last weekend, but supplies arrived by plane at the last minute.
The smallest baby weighed just 950 grams (2 pounds) at birth, and the lives of the infants in intensive care “hang by a thread,” Tejerina said.
No newborn at the hospital has died because of the oxygen shortage, and some relief was on the way, the doctor said. A convoy with 66 tons of liquid oxygen was expected Thursday in La Paz after three days of getting past barricades and angry protesters.
Even so, the blockades are having a wider impact on Bolivia’s beleaguered health system. Ambulances are sometimes prevented from reaching hospitals. The Health Ministry said 31 adults with COVID-19 have died since last Friday because of a lack of oxygen.
The government has described the situation as inhumane, blaming Morales supporters for causing even more misery at a time when the pandemic is inflicting a heavy toll on the country. But authorities are reluctant to use force to break up the blockades, recalling widespread bloodshed in clashes last year around the time when Morales resigned after an election marred by irregularities.
Morales, who had ruled for 14 years, left Bolivia after resigning and could face sedition and other charges if he returns. He was Bolivia’s first Indigenous president and remains a powerful influence in the country. His party, the Movement Toward Socialism, controls the congress.
Bolivia has reported nearly 4,000 deaths from COVID-19, though the real number is believed to be much higher. Last month, police in major cities said they had recovered the bodies of hundreds of suspected victims of the coronavirus from homes, vehicles and, in some instances, the streets. Hospitals filled up with patients, and funeral homes were besieged by grieving relatives looking to bury their dead.
About 60% of the medical workers at the Women’s Hospital became infected with the coronavirus and had to leave work, and many pregnant mothers have had to go from hospital to hospital, hoping to find space where they can give birth, Tejerina said.
On Thursday, 39-year-old Yola Quispe stood outside the gates of the hospital. She was heavily pregnant with twins. Quispe said the hospital had not yet confirmed whether a bed was available.
“I am already in pain and afraid that they will be born with low weight,” she said. Even so, “I don’t want my babies to stay in the hospital. There is no oxygen.”
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.