Aug 01, 2020
Museums compete on Twitter to see who has the best butt art
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
The challenge was laid down by the Yorkshire Museum in late June.
“IT’S TIME FOR #CURATORBATTLE! Today’s theme is #BestMuseumBum! This cracking Roman marble statuette depicts an athlete at the peak of fitness! It may have decorated the town house of one of Eboracum’s wealthier residents.Has someone taken a bite out of this? BEAT THAT!” the museum tweeted.
Since then, museums around the world have weighed in on the battle of the butts.
“We raise your athlete and instead give you the bum of a drunken fish. Yes you heard me. Made by Pamela Mei Yee Leung, it was part of a body of work which married animals and humans together to create mythological creatures with personalities. #BestMuseumBum #CuratorBattle,” The York Art Gallery tweeted.
The more austere The Victoria and Albert Museum, not surprisingly, chose a more staid bum, tweeting: “Get a load of this (peach emoji). Whilst the cast of Michelangelo’s David caused quite the stir because of his very exposed front parts (cue fig leaf), the real cause for commotion is actually his butt. It’s so good we need a closer look #bestmuseumbum”
Other hilarious responses include:
- A photo of an ancient woman with a flat tush from the Museum of Oxford, which said: “You can look but you can’t touch it If you touch it I’m a start some drama.” This sentiment was sadly ignored in the case of this figure. “You see the shiny, flattened (peach emoji)? That’s because people couldn’t resist touching her hump (hump).”
- A bee’s bottom from the Grant Museum of Zoology, which noted, “In honour of #NIW2020 we submit the Bumblebee (Bombus sp.) for this weeks #CURATORBATTLE #bestmuseumbum though floofiest (technical term) bum must surely go to the Bee Hawkmoth (Hemaris tityus) #EntoAtHome #insects #minibeasts.”
- Samurai bums from the Ota Memorial Museum of Art in Japan: “How about these bums of SUMO wrestlers in our collections? These bums were painted by Hokusai!! #CURATORBATTLE #BestMuseumBum #おうちで浮世絵“
- A hermaphrodite’s derriere from the Musee Louvre Lens: “Our #BestMuseumBum is this one ! To discover in the Galerie du temps… Hermaphroditos, roman copy romain from “Sleeping Hermaphroditos” Circa 130-150 centuries BC Marble @MuseeLouvreLens Pope Pie VI (1775-1778) collection”
- A picture of a fly’s keister from the Museum of Rotherham quipping: “Are you gonna take me home tonight? Ah, down beside that red firelight Are you gonna let it all hang out? Fat bottomed flies You make the rockin’ world go ’round.”
News Source: newsbrig.com
To Do List: Fantasy Draft, Drive-In Comedy, Old Ironsides Museum
BOSTON (CBS) – Even though some of your favorite routines might be changed, places around Boston are getting creative when it comes to safe entertainment options. A newly reopened museum, drive-in comedy show, and football draft party are all on this week’s To Do List.
The Yarmouth Drive-In is bringing live entertainment to Cape Cod with a lineup of concerts, movies, and comedy shows over the next month. That includes a show headlined by Boston comedian Lenny Clarke on August 24. One ticket gets up to four people in a vehicle through the gate.
Where: Yarmouth Drive-In, 669 Route 28, West Yarmouth
Cost: Prices vary
Old Ironsides Museum Reopens
The U.S.S. Constitution Museum is now re-open. Take a deep dive into the history of Old Ironsides with interactive exhibits for all ages. Reservations are required to enter the museum, and museum entry does not include getting on the actual ship.
When: Thurs-Sun 10am-5pm
Where: 88 Constitution Road, Boston
Cost: Tickets starting at $5
Take your yoga practice outdoors with Spira Yoga. There’s a class option for all different levels at North Point Park in Cambridge, by the Charles River. Or take advantage of their live streaming classes online.
Where: North Point Park, 6 Museum Way, Cambridge
Cost: Single class $20
Fantasy Draft Party
For those planning fantasy football drafts, Harpoon Brewery is hosting two fantasy league draft nights on August 20th & 27. You’ll get beer, pretzels, and wifi with your reservation, which start at $30 for two people. There is also food available for purchase from Harpoon, Yankee Lobster, and The Sausage Guy.
When: Thursday, August 20 & Thursday, August 27 (6-9pm)
Where: Harpoon Beer Hall, 306 Northern Ave, Boston
Cost: 2-person: $30, 4-person: $60, 6-person: $90