Aug 01, 2020
TikTok teens are making memes saying they'll show up at the White House to confront Trump over app ban
This news has been received from: insider.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Many TikTok creators respond to the president's proposed TikTok bans with memes and jokes. TikTok
- President Donald Trump on Friday told reporters he would take action to ban popular app TikTok as early as Saturday.
- Trump over the past month has joined other US officials in expressing security concerns over the app's Chinese ownership and suggested the service is sharing user data with the Chinese government, though the app's owner has denied doing so.
- While some TikTok creators encouraged their fans to follow them on their other social media accounts, others made memes or plans to set up a virtual private network so they could still use the app after a ban.
- A TikTok spokesperson thanked users for their support in a video statement Saturday, and said the app is "here for the long run."
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump on Friday told reporters that he would ban popular video streaming platform TikTok as early as Saturday, and the social-media platform's expansive community reacted in the way they know best: by posting memes.
US officials have long expressed security concerns over TikTok since it was purchased by the Chinese company ByteDance in 2017. In December 2019, the US military announced that service members would no longer be permitted to use the app on their government-issued devices.
In February, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer likewise expressed concerns over TikTok's connections to China in urging the Transportation Security Administration to cease its use of the platform as part of its social media campaigns.
TikTok has said it does not share the data of its American users with Chinese officials.
The platform, known as Musical.ly before it was purchased by ByteDance, didn't seem to land in the president's crosshairs until July — just a few weeks after his June rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Following the rally, users on the platform took credit for a social media campaign that may have impacted the event's attendance.
It's not exactly clear how the president could ban TikTok — the app available to download for free on the iOS App Store and the Google Play store. As The Verge noted, enacting a ban is not as simple as Trump and his allies have suggested, though there are ways he and his administration could make it more difficult for the company to operate.
Sources told Reuters on Saturday that ByteDance has agreed to divest its US operations to avoid a ban on TikTok. ByteDance had previously sought to maintain a stake in the US business of TikTok, though the company has agreed to exit completely as part of a sale to Microsoft, according to the report.
In a video posted Monday, the head of US TikTok operations thanked users for the outpouring of support in response to Trump's proposed ban and said the app was "here for the long run."Many personalities responded in typical TikTok fashion with humor and memes
Some TikTok creators posted videos joking they'd show up to the White House if Trump followed through with his TikTok ban. In typical TikTok form, the posts about the app's possible demise relied on popular trends and sounds from the app's user-generated library.
In one video, a TikTok user envisioned they'd show up to the White House to confront Trump wielding a saucepan. The video uses a popular sound that originated from an episode of Lifetime's popular series "Dance Moms."@carleuiza
##greenscreen ##foryou ##foryoupage ##fy ##fyp ##tiktokban ##tiktokbanned ##tiktok♬ original sound - danchesnut
News Source: insider.com
Tags: social media
Center City Wawa On Broad Street Permanently Closing Following COVID-19 Shutdown
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A popular Center City Wawa store is closing its doors for good. Officials tell Eyewitness News the Wawa store on Broad and Walnut Streets will permanently shut down due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Credit: HughE Dillon
“This decision was a difficult one,” Wawa said in a statement. “Due to the impact from the pandemic coupled with some operational uncertainties of today, our long-term plans for this store are no longer viable.”
The location opened up in 2015 and has been a popular late-night spot for bargoers.
However, in recent years the store was forced to change its 24/7 hours due to homelessness and crime near the Wawa.
Nearby Wawa stores at 12th and Market and 13th and Chestnut Streets remain open.