Aug 01, 2020
Marco Rubio Dumps on Mail-In Voting Concerns During Trump Campaign Call: No Im Not Concerned
This news has been received from: mediaite.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Michael Reynolds /Pool/Getty Images
Trump has conducted an ever-escalating campaign against mail-in voting, suggesting earlier this week that Election Day be postponed over his baseless concerns and predicting “the greatest election disaster in history” on Friday.
But on a campaign call Saturday morning, Rubio was asked about mail-in voting in his own state, and according to CBS News’ Nicole Sganga
— one of the reporters on the call — replied “No, I’m not concerned about mail in voting in Florida.”
And he did so “curtly.”
Asked on a Trump campaign call if he is concerned about mail-in voting in Florida, Senator Marco Rubio responds curtly, “No, I’m not concerned about mail in voting in Florida.”
— Nicole Sganga (@NicoleSganga) August 1, 2020
Trump’s campaign to cast doubt on mail-in voting — despite the fact that he has voted by mail frequently and even did it on video once — is running into lots of trouble. When he suggested delaying the election, he was roundly criticized by every corner of politic and media, and later appeared to back off the suggestion — for now — by claiming he was simply trying to draw attention to his critiques of mail-in voting, which are false.
If the narrative can’t even survive a Trump campaign conference call — even if it does end up being Rubio’s last — that doesn’t portend well for it.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
News Source: mediaite.com
School board unanimously approves hybrid reopening plan in Downers Grove amid COVID-19 concerns
DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. (WLS) -- The debate over returning to school has led to death threats from some people in one suburban district, according to Community District 99's superintendent in Downers Grove.
That school board held a meeting Monday night to hear from all sides of the issue.
Desperation to return to the classroom has pushed students and parents to rally the public's support for some kind of in-person learning for the upcoming school year.
"I at least want to be able to get tutored if I need help and if we're going in one day I'm fine with that," said senior Chloe Sheppard.
"I think at school, if they respect their teachers and wash their hands and wear their masks and teachers are staying the appropriate distance, it will be OK," parent Becky Rheintgen said.
But in the middle of a global pandemic, that's far from a universal opinion.
"I'm not paranoid and not in a bubble," said one teacher who spoke out. "I'm willing to work day and night, disheartened by narrative that teachers are selfish. I believe e-learning is the best way."
"The risk is too high," said another public speaker. "Both of my children are afraid to go back to school. Please, lets remote learn until it is safer."
District 99 says they are moving forward with a hybrid plan of in-person and remote learning.
As of now, the plan on the table is to start school on August 17.
Students will be split alphabetically and report to school, fully masked, two mornings a week.
Then, all students will learn remotely for two weeks before resuming a hybrid schedule September 8 conditions permitting, officials say.
"We've gone to extreme measures to make sure people can be safe," Superintendent Hank Thiele said. "We, as school leaders, are trusting the health department."
Students who simply don't feel safe returning to school can choose to learn from home as the district scrambles to accommodate dozens of teachers who may teach from home with in-classroom assistants.
"Let's be clear, this school year will not be like any other school year," Thiele said.
The school board unanimously approved a hybrid plan Monday night.