This news has been received from: thegrio.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) speaks during her weekly news conference at the U.S. Capitol on July 31, 2020 in Washington, DC. Speaker Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer are expected to speak by phone with White House officials throughout the weekend as they continue to negotiations about extending unemployment benefits amidst the coronavirus pandemic.

(Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

After 13 weeks of supplementing state unemployment, the federal government’s pandemic unemployment assistance has officially ended as of last night.

While Congress had been working on a plan for the past few weeks to extend the much-needed assistance, Democrats and Republicans were not able to come to an understanding.

“What we’re seeing is politics as usual from Democrats up on Capitol Hill,” said White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, according to USA Today. 

“The Democrats believe that they have all the cards on their side, and they’re willing to play those cards at the expense of those that are hurting,” he continued. 

READ MORE: Unemployment benefits are making people stay at home, according to Republicans

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blamed Republicans for dragging their feet and trying to implement a short term solution while so many people are currently dealing with serious effects of the coronavirus.

“They do not understand the gravity of the situation,” Pelosi said. “We don’t have shared values. That’s just the way it is.” 

Mitch McConnell and the GOP let the additional $600 in unemployment benefits expire. They let the federal evictions moratorium expire. With rent due today, millions aren’t sure how they’ll pay.

This is why I called for monthly payments back in March.https://t.co/qIki9CCdVL

— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) August 1, 2020

“There is clearly a desire on their part to do an entire package,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said, according to Reuters. “We’ve made clear that we are willing to deal with the short-term issues and pass something quickly and come back to larger issues. So we are at an impasse on that.”

Pelosi said that this short-term solution would be ok if she believed in the government’s ability to create another larger bill with real solutions in a timely manner.

On Thursday Meadows, Pelosi, Mnuchin, and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer had a meeting to see if they could make a quick deal so that there would be no lapse in benefits for the millions of Americans on unemployment. No such deal was made.

READ MORE: GOP proposal calls for unemployment benefits to be cut from $600 to $200

President Donald Trump tweeted that “Pelosi & Schumer have no interest in making a deal that is good for our Country and our People. All they want is a trillion dollars, and much more, for their Radical Left Governed States, most of which are doing very badly.”

The Democrats are holding back the $1,200 to $3,400 (family of four) checks that were ready to be sent out!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 31, 2020

This morning, Meadows, Pelosi, Mnuchin and Schumer met again. Through a new deal hasn’t been written, there are meetings scheduled for tomorrow and Monday to hammer things out, according to Schumer.

“This was the longest meeting we had and it was more productive than the other meetings,” said Schumer, according to Reuters. “There are many issues that are still very much outstanding.”

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

News Source: thegrio.com

Tags: unemployment benefits according to

New Study Finds Reporters In DC Might Be More Insular Than Previously Thought

Next News:

Nathan Ake officially joins Manchester City with more signings on the way

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 02: Nathan Ake of Bournemouth signals during the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Manchester United at Vitality Stadium on November 02, 2019 in Bournemouth, United Kingdom. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Manchester City has made its biggest move of the summer official.

Despite finishing second in the Premier League and holding an advantage on Real Madrid in the Champions League, Pep Guardiola and Manchester City are far from satisfied. With some additional money in their pockets, the club is determined to improve and has not been hesitant to spend this summer.

Just after adding Ferran Torres from Valencia to a five-year deal, City has officially announced their top signing of the summer in Bournemouth’s dominant defender, Nathan Ake, for 41 million euros.

BREAKING: Manchester City have signed defender Nathan Ake from Bournemouth for £41m ✍️

— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) August 5, 2020

It was no secret that City was in search of some defensive reinforcement, as the team’s backline has been inconsistent at best. Vincent Kompany’s exit left a gaping hole at center back that City has been unable to fill, with John Stones and Nick Otamendi failing to impress Guardiola.

Kyle Walker and Benjamin Mendy have held up the outside nicely, but their attacking style has left the team vulnerable to counter attacks too many times.

Nathan Ake will contribute to City’s characteristic attacking pressure and ball dominance as a capable midfield player while also acting as a headlining figure in the backfield.

RELATED PRODUCTThe Top Flight Womens Racerback TankBuy Now!Buy Now!Nathan Ake may not be the last summer signing for City either

Most interestingly, City’s work is far from done. Pep Guardiola recently said he is looking to add up to five more players amid the transfer window, hoping to conclude his work by the Premier League’s return on Sept. 12.

There aren’t any glaring holes for City with a winger and defensive back now on board, but Guardiola has pursued top-flight players in the past and succeed at it.

By dodging a Champions League ban and dropping the fine down a significant amount, City has put the extra spending money and incentive to good use, only making next year’s fight for the top of the EPL all the more exciting.

More: Tottenham prepare to take giant transfer risk at Jose Mourinho’s request

 

Other News

  • Video, Photos Help Identify 95 in Atlantic City Disturbance
  • COVID-19 Pandemic In MN: Gov. Walz, Lt. Gov. Flanagan Highlight ‘Range Of Emergency Assistance’ Available To Struggling Minnesotans
  • McConnell slams ‘Dems’ obstruction’ for $600 benefits expiring and says they’ll force PPP loans to run out as well
  • WATCH: Pelosi Smirks GOP Doesn’t Give ‘A Damn’ About ‘Disenfranchised’ And Minorities
  • Macron visit battered Beirut, vows to rally assistance
  • Dems dig in on $600 jobless benefit
  • Howard County Launches Interactive Map For Residents Needing Food Assistance
  • Indiana Eviction, Utility Shutoff Moratoriums End Next Week
  • Pelosi again rejects short-term $600-per-week federal unemployment extension
  • Stimulus negotiations: Pelosi rejects possibility of short-term extension of federal jobless benefits
  • Pelosi: Republicans Do Not Give a Damn About Minorities
  • Democrats hold firm in demands for coronavirus relief bill as impasse continues
  • Pelosi blasts GOP: Perhaps you mistook them for somebody who gives a damn
  • Massachusetts Sees Drop In New Unemployment, Pandemic Assistance Claims
  • 1.2 million seek jobless aid after $600 federal check ends
  • Modern Driver-Assistance Technology 'Far From Reliable': AAA Study
  • New Mexico School Officially Dumps Spanish Conquistador Name
  • Senate abandons recess plans after coronavirus talks stall
  • Pelosi: Trump Cant Accept the Gravity of the Coronavirus Pandemic