Aug 01, 2020
Apple Fire spreads to 1,900 acres in Riverside County, destroys 1 home as evacuation orders remain in place
This news has been received from: abc7news.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CHERRY VALLEY, Calif. -- A wildfire in the Cherry Valley area of Riverside County remained 0% contained on Saturday morning after spreading to 1,900 acres and prompting mandatory evacuation orders, officials said.
At least one home and two outbuildings were destroyed by the Apple Fire, which began shortly before 5 p.
RELATED: 1 hospitalized after 2-alarm apartment building fire near SF's Fisherman's Wharf
Responding firefighters in the air and on the ground attacked the flames in an effort to protect homes that were threatened, performing water drops from helicopters and establishing fire lines.
EMBED More News Videos
As Southern California is hit by a scorching heat wave, a brush fire broke out in the Cherry Valley area of Riverside County Friday evening, quickly burning at least 700 acres.
An evacuation order was issued for the area north of Cherry Valley Boulevard, west of Highland Springs Avenue and east of Beaumont Avenue. An evacuation center was established at Beaumont High School, located at 39139 Cherry Valley Blvd. in Beaumont.
An evacuation warning was later issued for residents north of Wilson Street, who were urged to be prepared to leave if ordered.
RELATED: Massive 5-alarm fire burns multiple buildings in San Francisco's SOMA, Mission, forward progress stopped
Firefighters can again expect triple-digit temperatures in the area as they continue to battle the flames on Saturday.
Crews are expected to focus their efforts on the Banning Bluff area, said Captain Fernando Herrera of Cal Fire Riverside. "The fire made a good run last night, threatened a lot of the homes," he said.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
#AppleFIRE Morning Update 08/01/2020 6:30 a.m. - Morning Update 08/01/2020 6:30 a.m. The fire is 1900 acres and 0% contained. All Evacuation Orders remain in place. CAL FIRE/Riverside County Fire is in Unified Command with the USFS, Riverside County Sheriffs Department and CHP pic.twitter.com/O10yKjd9Ee— CAL FIRE/Riverside County Fire Department (@CALFIRERRU) August 1, 2020
News Source: abc7news.com
Sea life around Mauritius dying as Japanese ships oil spill spreads
Mauritian volunteers fished dead eels from oily waters on Tuesday as they tried to clean up damage to the Indian Ocean island’s most pristine beaches after a Japanese bulk carrier leaked an estimated 1,000 tonnes of oil.
The ship, MV Wakashio, owned by Nagashiki Shipping and operated by Mitsui OSK Lines Ltd, struck a coral reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25 and began leaking oil last week, raising fears of a major ecological crisis.
Activists told Reuters that dead eels were floating in the water and dead starfish were marked by the sticky black liquid. Crabs and seabirds are also dying.
“We don’t know what may happen further with the boat, it may crack more,” said clean up volunteer Yvan Luckhun.
The MV Wakashio is still holding some 2,000 tonnes of oil and it is expected to eventually break up, Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth said late on Monday, warning that the country must brace for the worst.
Tourism is a leading part of the Mauritius economy. The government, which declared an emergency on Friday due to the spill, is working with former colonial ruler France to try to remove the oil.
The spill has set back two decades worth of restoring the natural wildlife and plants in the lagoon, which started after the government banned sand harvesting in the area back in 2000, said Vikash Tatayah, conservation director at Mauritius Wildlife Foundation, a non-governmental organization.
The fragmentation of the oil in the sea is expected to damage corals when the heavier particles in the oil settle on them, he said, adding that the steps taken by the government to prevent the disaster are also being scrutinized.
“There is some anger and some criticism from the civil society that the government may have taken too much time to respond,” Tatayah said. The ship was grounded for nearly two weeks before it started leaking oil.
There was no immediate comment from Mauritian government officials.
The Wakashio passed an annual inspection in March without any problems, Japan’s ClassNK inspection body said.
Mitsui OSK Lines said in a statement: “We will do our utmost towards resolving the situation quickly.” It did not provide any details. The company said it has sent six employees to the site and was considering sending more, along with transport supplies.
The International Maritime Organization said it had joined efforts to tackle the spill by providing technical advice and coordinating the response. U.N. agencies and other international groups were also mobilizing environmental and oil spill experts.Filed under indian ocean , japan , oil spills , oils spills , 8/12/20