Aug 02, 2020
Brewers Lorenzo Cain opts out of rest of 2020 season
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
As questions circulate of the potential of a pause or cancellation of the 60-game season, the first big name has opted out since the abbreviated campaign began.
Brewers center fielder Lorenzo Cain is done, the team announced on Saturday, as their series with the Cardinals had their first two games postponed this weekend due to a number of positive COVID-19 tests from Cardinals players and staff members.
“Lorenzo Cain has informed us that he will not participate for the remainder of the 2020 season,” Brewers president of baseball operations John Stearns said in a statement. “We fully support Lorenzo’s decision, and will miss his talents on the field and leadership in the clubhouse.”
Cain’s decision comes hours after Marlins infielder Isan Diaz opted out, with the 24-year-old announcing his decision on Instagram. While Diaz has reportedly not tested positive, more than 20 members of the Miami traveling party have since last week, forcing MLB to investigate the team’s practices.
Cain and Diaz join a number of high-profile players who opted out, including players such as Dodgers left-hander David Price and Nationals infielder Ryan Zimmerman who did so prior to the start of the season. But Cain is the biggest name to do so in-season as the virus has spread, leading to several postponed games and two teams – the Marlins and Phillies – being off since last Sunday.
Commissioner Rob Manfred told union president Tony Clark on Friday that the season was in danger, if teams and players didn’t start handling the pandemic better, The Post reported.Filed under Coronavirus , lorenzo cain , milwaukee brewers , mlb , 8/1/20
News Source: New York Post
Tenerife and Lanzarote will pay for the rest of your holiday if you catch coronavirus, including hotels and flights
THE Canary Islands are offering to pay for the rest of your holiday if you catch coronavirus while on holiday, including hotels, repatriation flights and testing.
The new travel policy will be managed by French insurer AXA and comes into effect immediately.4The Canaries will cover your coronavirus costs if you catch coronavirus while on holidayCredit: Alamy Live News
The Foreign Office removal of Spain from Britain’s ‘safe’ list of countries led to many Brits cancelling their Costa breaks over fears their policies would be invalid.
Canary Islands’ governors have intensified their campaign to persuade tourists to get on planes by becoming the first region to take out an insurance policy covering potential coronavirus-related costs.
The Canary Islands has been fighting for inclusion on a ‘safe’ air corridor list along with the Balearic Islands so British tourists can be spared two weeks of quarantine when they return to the UK.
Spain’s Tourism Minister Maria Reyes Maroto has repeatedly called on Britain to give the country’s holiday hotspots more leeway after a spike in new coronavirus cases in Catalonia and Aragon, insisting UK tourists on the Costas would be safer than at home.
The Canary Islands’ Regional Tourism Minister Yaiza Castilla, announcing the insurance move, said: “We have once again shown we are a leader when it comes to health security and taken another step in the fight against coronavirus."4The islands have been placed back onto the UK ban list, following mainland Spain on July 26Credit: Alamy Live News 4Brits have been cancelling their holidays, with the new policy hoping to encourage them to eventually returnCredit: AFP or licensors
“The insurance policy we’ve subscribed covers all tourists who come to our islands.
“It means all holidaymakers, Spanish or foreign, can have any costs related to coronavirus covered, whether it be for medicines, repatriation or costs linked to any quarantine.
“It’s the result of an agreement with the multinational insurance specialist AXA.”
She added: “We are the first autonomous community which will guarantee travel cover for Covid-19.
“We believe this will definitely help the islands’ economic recovery.”
The Canary Islands and Balearic Islands were initially excluded from the Foreign Office’s advice against all but non-essential travel to Spain following the British government’s shock quarantine decision nearly a fortnight ago.4The islands, which include Tenerife and Lanzarote, rely on tourism and have slammed the UK government's decisionCredit: AFP or licensors
But instead of putting in place the ‘safe’ air corridors the two island regions and other holiday hotspots like the Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol were demanding because of their lower number of coronavirus cases, the UK stance was hardened and all of Spain declared a “risk” area.
The quarantine decision led to a wave of cancellations by British holidaymakers.
Less than a third of the hotels in Magaluf and the neighbouring resort of Palmanova are open at the moment.
Mauricio Carballeda, president of the Palmanova-Magaluf Hotel Association, revealed last week: “Of the 88 hotels in Palmanova and Magaluf, only 33 are open or were going to open.
“Now, after the UK announced its quarantine for returning British tourists, two of those hotels will close and three have said they won’t open.
“That leaves 28 hotels out of 88. The recent measures announced by the British government have made what was already a complicated and difficult year worse.”Most read in News TravelTAKING THE PEEDisgusting moment man URINATES in airport in front of shocked passengersPAIN IN SPAINSpain locks down two more regions after 8,500 new Covid cases last weekendON THE LINE3m British travel & tourism jobs on verge of disappearing due to covidTRAVEL UPDATEIs France safe and will I need to quarantine? Latest Covid-19 travel advicePRICE WARBrits in for 'cheap holidays bonanza' as travel firms urged to slash pricesAIR TIMEAir bridge countries list: Holiday destinations where quarantine could be dropped
The Canary Islands government says it reckons the fall in the number of tourists this year will exceed the 65 per cent mark.
The region has traditionally been a popular winter destination for British holidaymakers, with high season being December to March.
Cyprus also previously pledged to cover all costs for anyone who tests positive for coronavirus while on holiday there, with the Cypriot government covering lodging, food, drink and medication for COVID-19 patients and their families.Spain hopes UK relaxes island quarantine rules