This news has been received from: inquisitr.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain has decided to sit out of the rest of the 2020 MLB season. Cain’s decision was first reported on Twitter through the team’s official Twitter account on Saturday.

R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports said that Cain told the club of his decision earlier on Saturday. He represents a big loss to the team, both offensively and defensively according to the writer.

He had played in five games so far for the Brewers and was off to a good start at the plate. The outfielder was slashing.333/.429/.389 in the early going.

The decision came not long after Major League Baseball announced his team’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals was postponed for a second straight day. While Cain hasn’t spoken publicly about why he made the call today and not before the season began, analysts around the sport believe the developments with the Cardinals might have played a part.

The Saturday contest was canceled because it was reported that at least four more members of the Cards tested positive for the coronavirus. While the two squads were supposed to play a doubleheader on Sunday to make up for Friday’s cancellation, most around the sport believe it’s only a matter of time before the entire series is postponed. What happens after that isn’t known.

Anderson pointed out that Cain is just the latest high profile player to decide not to play in 2020. He joins guys like the San Francisco Giants’ Buster Posey, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price; and Washington Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman.

  Dylan Buell / Getty Images

One player who opted out eventually decided he wanted to take part after all. Nick Markakis missed the start of the season but returned to the Atlanta Braves this week. August 1 was said to be the deadline for anyone who opted out to come back and play. That means Cain is done for the rest of 2020, however long it is.

The outfielder’s reason for opting out will have a direct effect on how much money he can make for the rest of the year. Unless he is deemed to be someone who is at high risk, he will not receive pay or service-time credit pay. A prorated amount of his full-season salary would have been just shy of $6 million.

Anderson said it’s worth pointing out that Cain has made $66 million over the course of his career and he’s under contract through 2022. He’ll make another $35 million before his current contract with the Brewers comes to an end.

News Source: inquisitr.com

Tags: milwaukee brewers

Manhunt For Humboldt Kidnapping Suspect On The Run With Female Victim

Next News:

Blueberry Workers Test Positive for Coronavirus in Maine

MILBRIDGE, Maine (AP) — Maine officials are investigating a group of positive coronavirus cases among blueberry workers.

Four employees of Wyman's who were working at a location in Milbridge have tested positive. It was the third cluster of coronavirus cases at a blueberry processing facility or farm in the state, the Portland Press Herald reported.

Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention Director Nirav Shah said the workers were tested before they began work. The cases have come at a time when the state is struggling to fill agricultural jobs.

In other news related to the pandemic in Maine:

NEW CASES

Maine public health authorities reported 17 new cases of the virus on Wednesday. They also reported an additional death. The state has had more than 3,900 reported cases of the virus and 124 deaths.

For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, or death.

___

FEDERAL HELP

Maine's two U.S. senators said the state is getting more than $2.6 million from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to support its response to the coronavirus pandemic. They said the state will use the money for surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity, infection control, mitigation, communications and preparedness and response activities.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: Maine

Other News

  • Several UCLA Football Players Test Positive For Coronavirus
  • So Lucky to Have These Guys- Daniel Cormier Pays a Tribute to Cain Velasquez and Luke Rockhold
  • Eight UCLA football players test positive for coronavirus
  • Port Authority Announces 5 Employees Test Positive For Coronavirus
  • Report: No new positive COVID-19 tests among MLB players
  • 8 UCLA football players test positive for COVID-19
  • Former Army Delta Force officer, US ambassador sign secretive contract to develop Syrian oil fields
  • Lions Offensive Lineman Opts Out of 2020 NFL Season
  • Giants Sam Beal opts out of season in potential big blow
  • Giants Projected Starter Opts-Out of the 2020 NFL Season
  • The bubbles stay intact: Zero NBA players test positive for COVID-19 at Disney World for a third straight week after NHL teams in Toronto and Edmonton were all cleared to play
  • New York : 96.4% of the new coronavirus cases in NYC were caught through the Test and Trace plan
  • Penn State pass rush needs to step up after Micah Parsons opts out of 2020 season
  • West Virginia Defensive Back Kerry Martin Opts Out Of The Season
  • Coronavirus-infected Louisiana dog is first in state to test positive for COVID-19
  • 49ers wide receiver Travis Benjamin opts out of 2020 NFL season
  • Not in the Room Where It Happens: US Senates McConnell Opts Out of Coronavirus Talks
  • Not in the Room Where It Happens: U.S. Senate's McConnell Opts Out of Coronavirus Talks
  • Twist to the GOAT race as Nadal opts to skip U.S. Open