Aug 02, 2020
Improbable wins Whitney for Baffert at Saratoga
This news has been received from: wtop.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (AP) — Improbable won the $750,000 Whitney at Saratoga on Saturday, making Bob Baffert the first trainer to notch back-to-back victories in the Grade 1 race for older horses since 1994-95.
Ridden by Irad Ortiz Jr., Improbable ran 1 1/8 miles in 1:48.65. The 4-year-old colt paid $8.50, $4.50 and $2.70. He earned an automatic berth to the Breeders’ Cup Classic on Nov. 7 at Keeneland.
By My Standards returned $5.40 and $2.60. Tom’s d’Etat paid $2.10 to show. Code of Honor finished fourth and Mr. Buff took fifth.
Baffert won last year’s race with McKinzie. Trainer Scotty Schulhofer won the Whitney in 1994 with Colonial Affair and the following year with Unaccounted For.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
News Source: wtop.com
Millions won’t get $400-a-week unemployment boost for TWO WEEKS, Treasury Sec admits after Trump signs order
MILLIONS of jobless Americans won’t get their $400-a-week unemployment boost for two weeks, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin admits.
President Donald Trump announced an executive order on Saturday that extends the additional unemployment payments of up to $400 a week to help cushion the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.3Mnuchin revealed that the Trump administration is willing to "put more money on the table"Credit: Alamy Live News
But Mnuchin told reporters on Monday: “We're thinking within the next week or two most of the states will be able to execute.”
Congress had approved payments of $600 a week at the outset of the coronavirus outbreak.
But those benefits expired on August 1, and Congress has been unable to agree on an extension.
Many Republicans have expressed concern that a $600 weekly benefit, on top of existing state benefits, gives people an incentive to stay unemployed.
But under Trump’s plan, the $400 a week requires a state to commit to providing $100.
Many states are already facing budget crunches caused by the pandemic.
At a news conference, when quizzed on how many governors had signed on to take part, Trump answered: “If they don’t, they don’t. That’s up to them.”
He later clarified that states could apply to have the federal government provide all or part of the $400 payments.
Decisions would be made state by state, Trump explained.
Several state officials questioned how Trump’s initial proposal would work and often expressed doubt that they could afford to participate at the level Trump initially set without using federal funds.
In Connecticut, Democratic Gov. Ned Lamont told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that the plan would cost his state $500 million to provide that benefit for the rest of the year, and condemned Trump’s plan as “not a good idea".
“I could take that money from testing — I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Lamont added.
But, on CNN, Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine praised Trump for issuing the order.
“He’s trying to do something. He’s trying to move the ball forward,” DeWine said.
However he was noncommittal about whether Ohio would participate.
“We’re looking at it right now to see whether we can do this,” he said
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin revealed on Monday that the Trump administration is willing to "put more money on the table" during coronavirus relief talks with Democrats to reach an agreement.
As talks of the second round of stimulus checks continue, Mnuchin revealed to CNBC that President Trump "is determined to spend what we need to spend."
Last week, Democrats pushed back against the amount of unemployment relief offered in the original act backed by Republicans.
"I think that the number, the $600, is related more to the unemployment rate. If the unemployment goes down, then that number can go down," Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi told CNN over the weekend.
At his weekly Senate Republican leadership press conference, McConnell was asked about Pelosi's refusal to budge on the newly proposed stimulus package.
"Wherever this thing settles between the president of the United States and his team, who has to sign it into law, and the Democrat, not insignificant minority in the Senate and majority in the House, is something I'm prepared to support," he said.3Democrats are reportedly refusing to accept anything less than the $600 unemployment checksCredit: AP:Associated Press
"Even if I have some problems with certain parts of it."
Despite calling it a "crazy policy" back in May, McConnell's comments appeared to announce a shift in tone towards the package.
"We know this is going to be a negotiated settlement," McConnell continued. "It's not going to produce a kumbaya moment like we had back in March in April where everybody voted aye. But the American people in the end need help."
The Democrats are reportedly refusing to accept anything less than the return of the $600 unemployment checks.3If an agreement is made, they would want to do it this weekCredit: Getty Images - Getty
On Monday, Mnuchin said he and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows would restart the discussions with Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.
Democratic leaders seemed "willing to compromise", Mnuchin said.
The Treasury Secretary once again said that if an agreement is made, they would want to do it this week.
Over the weekend, President Trump signed an executive order extending federal unemployment insurance, reduced to $400 per week.Most read in US NewsWH SHOOTINGTrump rushed from briefing as 'armed suspect,' 51, is shot outside White HousePLASTIC FANTASTICEx ‘Human Ken Doll’ Jessica Alves shows off curves in barely-there bikini'SCREAM FROM HELL'Dad ‘shoots dead terminally ill daughter, 11, and then kills himself’HORRIFIC INJURYToddler, 2, 'shoots himself in the head with gun' – and SURVIVES'TAKEN TOO SOON'Mom-of-three, 37, found dead after ‘ex-husband kidnapped her in his SUV’WarningVICIOUS MAULINGMom left with lip HANGING OFF after dog savaged her face at BBQ
CNBC reported that the federal government would cover 75% of the payment and states would cover the other 25%.
According to Mnuchin, states should have enough money to cover the cost.
Officials in Washington allegedly don't see the execuive order as a permanent fix.
The president’s actions also call on administration officials to consider stopping evictions from federally-backed housing and help renters with aid payments. He did not continue a moratorium on evictions that lapsed late last month.