Aug 02, 2020
Bosox LHP Rodríguez Out for Year, Inflamed Heart From COVID
This news has been received from: usnews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
He has been on the injured list since mid-July and has not pitched this season.
“In the course of monitoring Eduardo after his return, we discovered that he was showing evidence of myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart, and fortunately, the severity of that complication looked mild,” Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom said before Saturday night's game against the Yankees.
“We were optimistic that it would resolve in short order and that we would be progressing back to pitching. As we’ve continued to monitor it, it has not resolved. It is still there," he said.
Rodríguez was a career-best 19-6 last year with a 3.81. The Red Sox said July 7 the the 27-year-old had tested positive for COVID-19.
“We are confident that he is going to make a full recovery and that his long-term prognosis is excellent,” Bloom said. “But the fact of the matter is that there just isn’t enough time left this season to safely ramp him back up to pitching.”
Bloom five times described the condition was “mild.” Boston received the medical update Friday night and Rodríguez told his teammates on Saturday. Rather than travel with the team, he will return to his home in Florida.
“While the heart is is affected like this, we just can’t responsibly put any this kind of cardiovascular load on him,” Bloom said. “So once it once it resolves, we’ll be able to progress him back.”
Boston already is without left-hander Chris Sale after the staff ace had Tommy John surgery on March 30. The Red Sox rotation includes Nathan Eovaldi, left-hander Martín Pérez and Ryan Weber.
“When you look out over the course of the season, it certainly makes the mountain a little higher," Bloom said. “We will continue to obviously monitor the market and make sure we’re not walking by any opportunity to upgrade our group.”
He expects Rodríguez will make a full recovery.
“This case, while it’s something that is persistent, is not something that has that has impacted or damaged the functioning of his heart,” Bloom said. “Now myocarditis following COVID, it is obviously not something that the medical community has a lot of data on because the virus itself is new, much less in an athlete.”
More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
News Source: usnews.com
Schumer Smacks Down Trumps Claim Dems Reached Out About COVID-19 Negotiations
Madison Summers August 10, 2020 0 Comments
President Donald Trump claimed Democrats reached out about the next coronavirus relief package, but Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) says the president is full of “fables.”
Schumer appeared on MSNBC on Monday where he said in response to Trump, “Fables from Donald Trump. Fables. That’s what he seems to specialize in.”
“I didn’t call him. Speaker Pelosi didn’t call him,” Schumer continued. “No, we didn’t call him.”
He added in taking a swipe at the president, “He makes these things up or hears from somebody at one of his fundraisers or at his country club. Oh, the Democrats are calling you.’ He acts like it’s true.”
Trump told reporters on Sunday that Democrats had reached out since discussions broke down, according to The Hill.Watch Schumer’s interview below:
Following Schumer’s remarks, Trump tweeted on Monday morning, “So now Schumer and Pelosi want to meet to make a deal. Amazing how it all works, isn’t it,” adding, “They know my phone number!”
His remarks come after coronavirus relief talks over the fifth bill broke down last week between the White House and congressional Democrats.
So now Schumer and Pelosi want to meet to make a deal. Amazing how it all works, isn’t it. Where have they been for the last 4 weeks when they were “hardliners”, and only wanted BAILOUT MONEY for Democrat run states and cities that are failing badly? They know my phone number!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2020
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin indicated on Sunday that they are willing to restart coronavirus aid discussions.
“Let’s pass legislation on things that we agree on. We don’t have to get everything done at once … What we should do is get things done for the American public now, come back for another bill afterwards,” Mnuchin said during a Fox News interview.
Trump also signed executive orders on Saturday, to which Pelosi called an “unconstitutional slop.”
“While it has the illusion of saying we’re going to have a moratorium on evictions, it says I’m going to ask the folks in charge to study if that’s feasible,” she said, adding, “While he says he’s going to do the payroll tax, what he’s doing is undermining social security and medicare. So these are illusions.”