Aug 02, 2020
Man Who Shot Victim 30 Times In Stockton In 2017 Sentenced To 40 Years To Life
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
STOCKTON (CBS13) – A man convicted of a second-degree murder in which he shot his victim 30 times in Stockton in 2017 was sentenced to 40 years to life, San Joaquin County District Attorney Tori Verber Salazar announced on Saturday.
A press release issued from Salazar’s office said Jontell Jaymar Roots was sentenced on Monday, July 27 for one count of second-degree murder with an enhancement for using a firearm in the commission of a felony, causing death.
Roots chased after the victim – Lonnell Broadnax – after Broadnax punched him in the face in the area of N. Madison and W. Poplar Streets on the night of Sept. 17, 2017, Salazar said.
“All assaultive behavior is criminal, but responding to a fistfight, with a loaded firearm, is the definition of violence escalation and a cowardly act,” said District Attorney Salazar. “This disagreement should never have ended as it did. One young man is in prison, and a second young man is dead.”
According to Salazar, evidence showed Broadnax approached a group of people in the area, including Roots, and attacked Roots following an exchange before running away. The altercation was caught by security cameras.
Roots drove after Broadnax and caught up to him two blocks away in a parking lot on Monroe Street. Salazar said a witness saw Roots fire dozens of shots and Broadnax.
Investigators also discovered a social media post where Roots was showing off a loaded gun that was consistent with the one used in the Broadnax’s murder, however, it was never recovered. Roots reportedly also posted a quote on social media weeks after the murder “describing the feeling of power upon killing a victim,” Salazar said.
The press release from Salazar’s office said Broadnax is survived by his young daughter and his mother and father, who lost their only child.
Roots will be eligible for parole following his 25th year of incarceration.
News Source: cbslocal.com
California Man Gets 50 Years to Life for 'Revenge Murder'
SACRAMENTO (AP) — A Sacramento man convicted of a 2012 ‘revenge murder’ has been sentenced to 50 years to life in prison more than six years after his first trial was dismissed due to a jury issue, The Sacramento Bee reported.
Michael Dushawn Nunally, now 35, was convicted in February for the first-degree murder of Kaster Tezino, who was shot in the back after being lured to a since-closed Motel 6, according to the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office.
Judge Sharon Lueras overturned Nunally's 2012 conviction on the basis of jury misconduct after a defense attorney claimed members of the jury improperly considered data from a cell phone. The attorney said the data had been inaccurately catalogued, the Bee previously reported, after which Nunally was granted a new trial.
Prosecutors said Nunally was a pimp who killed Tezino “seeking revenge for an assault he believed the victim committed,” the county district attorney's office said.
The Bee reported in 2014, with information from the dismissed trial, that the killing was done in reprisal for Tenzino allegedly pulling a gun on one of Nunally's prostitutes.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.