Aug 02, 2020
Federal appeals court rejects Stormy Daniels’ libel suit against Trump
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
A federal appeals court has rejected a libel lawsuit Stormy Daniels brought against President Trump over his 2018 tweet calling her “a total con job.”
The ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upholds a previous 2018 ruling tossing the suit on the grounds that Trump’s comments amounted to an opinion protected by the First Amendment.
Daniels, who claims she had an affair with Trump — which he denies — had said she was approached in 2011 by a man who threatened her to keep quiet about the alleged relationship.
The case stems from Trump’s tweeted response to the alleged threat.
Trump retweeted side-by-side pictures of Stormy’s ex-husband and the police sketch of the alleged threatener — noting both looked like the same man.
“A sketch about a nonexistent man,” Trump tweeted.
“A total con job playing the Fake News Media for Fools (but they know it)!”
Daniels had argued that Trump’s comments portrayed her as a liar, but the 9th Circuit judges disagreed.
“Viewed through the eyes of an objectively reasonable reader, the tweet here reflects Mr. Trump’s opinion about the implications of the allegedly similar appearances of Ms. Clifford’s ex-husband and the man in the sketch,” the court ruling said.
“Because the tweet juxtaposing the two images was displayed immediately below Mr. Trump’s tweet, the reader was provided with the information underlying the allegedly defamatory statement and was free to draw his or her own conclusions.”
Daniels also claimed Trump accused her of engaging in crime with the “con job” reference, but the judge’s also rejected that allegation.Filed under donald trump , lawsuits , stormy daniels , 8/1/20
News Source: New York Post
Fiat Chrysler calls GM allegations defamatory and baseless
DETROIT (AP) — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is denying allegations by General Motors that FCA used foreign bank accounts to bribe union officials so they would stick GM with higher labor costs.
In court papers filed Monday, the Italian-American automaker called GM’s claims “defamatory and baseless.”
GM alleged in a court filing last week that FCA spent millions on bribes by stashing the money in foreign accounts. The allegations of new evidence were made in a motion asking a federal judge to reconsider his July dismissal of a federal lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler.
In its response, Fiat Chrysler said GM has to know that the prospect of getting the judge to overturn the dismissal is slim to none. “So this motion is apparently a vehicle to make more defamatory and baseless accusations about a competitor that is winning in the marketplace.”
FCA wrote that GM’s motion reads like a script from a “third-rate spy movie, full of preposterous allegations.” GM alleged that FCA paid two “moles” to infiltrate GM and funnel inside information to FCA, the automaker said. GM’s allegation that foreign accounts were used is not true, FCA said. “That GM has extended its attacks to individual FCA officers and employees, making wild allegations against them without a shred of factual support, is despicable,” FCA lawyers wrote.
GM alleged that bribes were paid to former United Auto Workers Presidents Dennis Williams and Ron Gettelfinger, as well as Vice President Joe Ashton. It also alleges money was paid to GM employees including Al Iacobelli, a former FCA labor negotiator who was hired and later released by GM.
GM alleges that payments were made so the officials would saddle GM with more than $1 billion in additional labor costs.
Gettelfinger, whose name had not come up previously in a wide-ranging federal probe of UAW corruption, vehemently denied the allegations in a statement and said he had no foreign accounts. Williams’ California home was raided by federal agents but he has not been charged. Iacobelli, who is awaiting sentencing in the probe, also denied the claims.
In July, U.S. District Judge Paul Borman in Detroit tossed out GM’s lawsuit that alleged that Fiat Chrysler paid off union leaders to get better contract terms than GM.
He wrote that GM’s alleged injuries were not caused by FCA violating federal racketeering laws, that GM had not stated a claim that can be granted, and that the people harmed by the bribery scheme were Fiat Chrysler workers.
On Monday, Borman issued an order saying that FCA had to file its response by the end of the day and saying that he didn’t want anything else from GM.
GM’s motion contended that payments were made to accounts in places like Switzerland, Luxembourg, Italy, Singapore and the Cayman Islands. The accounts were set up to avoid detection in the federal criminal probe,, according to the motion. The accounts were discovered recently by private investigators working on GM’s behalf, according to court records.
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.