Aug 02, 2020
Four more killed in four weekend shootings across NYC
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Four people were killed — three by bullets and one by a blade — in a 12-hour rampage of violence across New York City that stretched into Saturday morning, police said.
Responding officers found the unidentified victim with a gunshot wound to his torso. He was pronounced dead at St. John’s Episcopal Hospital. The suspect ran off, police said.
“There are shootings here all the time,” complained a 63-year-old neighbor who had been walking home from the laundromat when she heard the too-familiar sound of gunfire.
“There are gang bangers around here,” she said. “When I have to come out, I come out and I go back in.”
In the Bronx, two people were fatally shot in a span of three hours, police said.
At around 1:35 a.m. in Laconia, an unknown person blasted Forest Byrd, 34, in the waist and left arm, killing him, police said. No arrests have been made.
And at around 10:41 p.m. Friday, in Clason Point, a masked and hooded shooter shot and killed Shaiquan Wilson at a gathering outside of 1741 Randall Avenue, harrowing surveillance video released by cops shows.
The fourth fatality was earlier Friday, at around 6 p.m., when Telmo Ruiz, 48, was stabbed in Upper Manhattan. That killer too, remains at large.
Other shootings, in Brooklyn and Queens, left surviving victims.
At 10:38 Saturday morning in Bedford-Stuyvesant, a 27-year-old man was shot in his right elbow.
And at 4:30 a.m., in Brownsville, a 34-year-old man walked into the 103rd precinct station house in Jamaica with a gunshot wound to his torso, police said.
He told officers he was shot on Hollis Avenue, police said. He’s listed in stable condition at Jamaica Hospital, officials said.
There’s been a roughly 70-percent jump in gunplay across the city this year, compared to 2019, according to the NYPD.
News Source: newsbrig.com
Tags: police said
Downtown To Be Shut Down Nightly Through Weekend
CHICAGO — The Downtown area will be shut down nightly through this weekend.
The nightly shutdowns began earlier this week after the Loop and surrounding communities saw looting and vandalism after police shot a 20-year-old man in Englewood. Officials began restricting access to the area Monday night.
Restricted access will continue 9 p.m.-6 a.m. nightly, but it will end 6 a.m. Monday, according to a press release from the Office of Emergency Management and Communication.
People who live and work in the Loop and surrounding neighborhoods can still get in and out, but the city will make it harder for others to travel there.
- Closing in-bound and out-bound ramps Lake Shore Drive between Fullerton Avenue and I-55, as well as the in-bound ramp at Belmont.
- Lifting Downtown bridges over the Chicago River, except for the LaSalle Street, Harrison Street, Ida B. Wells, Lake Shore Drive, Columbus Avenue, Kinzie Street and Grand Avenue bridges.
- Creating access points for residents and business employees at Harrison Street, Chicago Avenue and Halsted Street, Roosevelt Road and Canal Street, Kinzie and Halsted streets, and LaSalle Street.
- Closing entrance and exit ramps leading to I-90/94 between Roosevelt Road and Division Street.
- CTA trains won’t enter the area surrounding Downtown from Fullerton Avenue to 47th and east of Halsted Street.
- Buses will remain open, though with some rerouted due to street and bridge closures.
- Divvy service will not be available from Nroth to Ashland avenues and Cermak Road.
Access points will be manned by Chicago Police officers. Residents, business owners and employees who need to get into Downtown will need to show police proof they live or work in the area.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.
Already subscribe? Click here to support Block Club with a tax-deductible donation.