This news has been received from: thedailybeast.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

Haven’t we been through enough this year? 

In Maine, that seems to be the question on everyone’s minds given the events of the last week. Not only did Governor Janet Mills clash with the state’s Republican Party about easing COVID-19 restrictions on out-of-state visitors, but the state also experienced its first fatal shark attack in recorded history.

It’s been a brutal year, especially for the state’s tourism and hospitality industry, but the events of the last few days alone beg the question: can the hotels, restaurants and small businesses that shape “Vacationland” as we know it survive the summer of 2020?

On the state’s official website on July 27, Governor Mills posted a statement against a Republican initiative to ease quarantine restrictions on visitors from Massachusetts and Rhode Island. At the moment, visitors from Massachusetts and Rhode Island seeking to enter Maine must either self-quarantine for 14 days or provide documentation of a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of entry into the state—something not required of visitors from New Hampshire, Vermont, or the tri-state area. Maine’s Legislative Republicans are trying to ease these restrictions, in no small part because Massachusetts tourism dollars are widely considered the bread-and-butter of the state’s highly seasonal tourism industry. 

“For the life of me, I cannot understand why Republicans care more about Massachusetts money than the life of a Maine person,” said the governor’s statement, calling the Republican proposal a “Donald Trump-style assault on the very public health measures that have successfully protected Maine people.”

Justin Grimes, managing director of the Kennebunkport Resort Collection—which includes, among others, the resorts Hidden Pond, The Kennebunkport Inn, and Cape Arundel Inn & Resort—is baffled by Governor Mills’ public outcry. “It’s counterintuitive because this summer there are so many people coming here from New York, and many of them are passing through Massachusetts, probably stopping in Massachusetts, and then continuing to Maine,” he said. “It’s a bit shocking. It’s caused a lot of confusion. People are angry. It feels like Massachusetts residents are being singled out.”

NEWSLETTERSBeast Travel DigestGet the entire world in your inbox.SubscribeBy Clicking "Subscribe" you agree to have read the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Per Grimes, Kennebunkport Resort Collection’s business is down 60 percent. He hopes that the Massachusetts and Rhode Island restrictions can be eased in time for the town of Kennebunkport’s Christmas Prelude, the two weekends following Thanksgiving, which is historically his hotels’ highest grossing weekend of the year. “We typically sell out a year in advance and our restaurants all hit record numbers,’ he said. “I worry without that splash of revenue, you’ll see other businesses permanently close.”

Abigail Carroll, owner of the 6.8-acre Nonesuch Oysters farm in Scarborough, is approaching this summer with a trademark sense of Maine toughness. In her line of work, after all, adaptability is essential. “COVID ain’t nothing for a farmer,” she said. “Seven months before COVID we lost most of the summer to red tide. It seems like every year we have something, whether it’s a bad algae, die-off from the winter ice… To be honest, we got a little PPP money this year and it felt like a huge break for once.”

When asked about the anomalous shark attack last week and whether she worried how that might affect her operations—which by definition require her to be in the water tending to the oyster beds—Carroll seemed almost nonplussed. “Waters are warming, there’s no way around it. Climate change is happening,” she said. It’s almost like an influx of great whites is the least of her problems at this point. “My existential angst is what is going to happen in the fall.”

Alongside countless other oysters farmers and fishermen up and down the Maine coast, Carroll has been able to maintain normalcy—to a degree—thanks to outside dining. “Based on my orders, it’s almost like Kennebunkport is kind of alive and well,” she said. “The million dollar question is what’s going to happen in the fall. We’re trying to ramp up our [e-commerce] home orders, but there are big variables and big unknowns.”

Others in the area are more optimistic. At the White Barn Inn, Auberge Resorts Collection in Kennebunk, general manager Daniel Braun shared that August 2019 was a very strong month for sales, and that August 2020 is on track to exceed it by 15 percent. While there have been fewer visitors from Massachusetts, the property has experienced a “strong increase among New York and tri-state” visitors. The property’s range of barns and cottages, many with private entrances, lend themselves to privacy and reduced contact between guests. Braun attributes the White Barn Inn’s successful summer to a recent property-wide renovation, the addition of a Little Barn casual restaurant so guests don’t need to leave the property for meals, as well as expanded poolside food and beverage service. It’s been such a popular summer for the property, that not even the shark attack has deterred guests. “It hasn’t seemed to prevent people from visiting the beach and enjoying the water,” said Braun. “It really was such a rare and unexpected accident.”

Indeed, last week’s shark attack was a relative blip in a year of rare and unexpected accidents. But wherever businesses fall on the spectrum between calamity and normalcy this summer, the general sense is that the true test will arrive this fall

That's when a second wave of COVID-19 cases is expected to coincide with flu season. Plus, a drop in temperature means fewer out-of-state visitors and a death-knell to the outdoor dining which has saved so many of the state’s restaurants. Until then, Mainers will have to await whatever fresh hell these final weeks of summer 2020 brings their way.

News Source: thedailybeast.com

Tags: coronavirus coronavirus visitors from shark attack the property the state s

Amazon’s best-selling sleep mask is just £6.99 – and shoppers ‘can’t do without it’

Next News:

UFC: Donald Cerrone Niko Price targeted for September 19th

UFC: Donald Cerrone – Niko Price targeted for September 19th

  • By: Daniel Cunningham
  • August 14, 2020
PrevPreviousUFC: Ian Heinisch – Brendan Allen targeted for November 7th ShareTweet0 Shares

The UFC is putting together an incredible welterweight matchup for their card on September 19th. Per ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone (36-15, 1 NC) and Niko Price (14-4, 1 NC) will to head-to-head.

Breaking: Cowboy Cerrone (@Cowboycerrone) and Niko Price (@Nikohybridprice) have verbally agreed to meet on Sept. 19, per multiple sources. Stylistically, hell of a fight. Should be all action.

— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) August 14, 2020



The UFC’s Cowboy Tries to Bounce Back

There might not be a fighter in the UFC that is more loved than Cowboy Cerrone. For his entire career, Cowboy has been a guy who would fight anyone, anyplace at anytime.

That mentality is why he holds the record for the most wins in the UFC. In addition to that, he also has the most post-fight bonuses and the most finishes in UFC history.

However, Cowboy has hit a little bit of a rough patch in his last few fights. Just a little over a year ago, Cowboy was considered to be a win away from a title shot. Then he fought Tony Ferguson at UFC 238.

Cerrone lost after he blew his broken nose which caused his eye to swell shut. After that, Cowboy was finished in the first round by Justin Gaethje and Conor McGregor. Cerrone fought Anthony Pettis at UFC 249 and dropped a very close decision.

Cowboy is looking to snap the longest losing streak of his career. Now, all four fighters he has lost to are former champions so it’s not like he’s fighting nobodies. Now, he gets his chance against Niko Price to get back on track.

Price comes into this contest 2-3 in his last five fights. He always is game for a battle, and he’s always in exciting fights. One thing that you know for sure is that this will not be a boring fight.

For Cerrone, this is a chance to get back on track. For Price, this is a chance to get the biggest win of his UFC career. This is a massive fight for both men in very different ways. I don’t know about you, but I’m pumped for this fight.

Other News

  • Fury as Dutch to use digger to salvage WW2 bomber shot down with seven RAF heroes on board
  • Surfer saved after friend punches shark in Australian attack
  • Manny Pacquiao Wants Two More Fights, Then Run for President of the Phillipines
  • Chicago neighborhood creates "Land of Make Believe" to help residents escape from struggles of pandemic
  • Lakewood Neighbors Relieved To Learn Dog Killing Suspects Have Been Arrested
  • Deadly Bull Sharks Sighted In Jersey Shore River
  • Deadly Bull Sharks Sighted In Jersey Shore Rivers
  • Adones Betances faces 25 years for stabbing, burning Bronx teen
  • Alleged killer faces 25 years for burning, stabbing sisters suitor
  • Police: Jeannette Woman Threatened To Kill Law Enforcement, Neighbors And People Working At Westmoreland County 911 Center
  • Gordon Ramsay is selling one of his homes for $3.6 million after months of arguments with locals over lockdown rules
  • Ellen DeGeneres’ $27M Montecito mansion robbery was ‘an inside job,’ neighbors claim cops told them
  • At 95 years old, 'Bicycle Bob' met his 100,000-mile cycling goal as his neighbors cheered him on
  • Neighbors Alarmed by Potential Park
  • Man Arrested in Maine for Woman's Death in Boston Hotel
  • Pilsen Nonprofit Plans Affordable Housing Building, But Neighbors Say More Family-Sized Units Are Needed
  • After West Town Moms Son Dies Unexpectedly, Neighbors Step Up To Help Her Through Tragedy
  • Rare Shark Sighting Of Wells, Maine Creates Concern For Swimmers
  • Ingleside Block Club To Give Away School Supplies, Clothes At Back-To-School Bash