This news has been received from: wtop.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

The premier of Victoria plunged the region into a “state of disaster” on Sunday, announcing even stricter lockdown measures, introducing a nightly curfew and banning virtually all trips outdoors after Australia’s second largest state recorded 671 new infections in a single day.

Daniel Andrews told Victorians at a news conference that “we have to do more, and we have to do more right now,” as the state battles to contain a devastating coronavirus outbreak that had already stripped residents of their freedoms, livelihoods and social interactions and made it an outlier from the rest of the country.

“Where you slept last night is where you’ll need to stay for the next six weeks,” Andrews said, announcing a curfew between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. beginning Sunday evening and moving Metropolitan Melbourne into stage four lockdown measures.

In that part of the state, only one person per household will be allowed to leave their homes once a day — outside of curfew hours — to pick up essential goods, and they must stay within a 5 kilometer radius of their home. Melburnians had already been under strict measures for most of July after the area was identified as the epicenter of Australia’s second wave.

The draconian new rules were spurred by more bleak Covid-19 figures. Seven new deaths were announced on Saturday, bringing the state’s total to 123, and there have been 11,557 confirmed infections.

In addition, Andrews said the state has 760 “mystery cases,” where “we cannot trace back the source of that person’s infection.”

“Those mysteries and that community transmission is in many respects our biggest challenge and the reason why we need to move to a different set of rules,” Andrews said. “The whole way through this, I promised to be upfront. So I’ll say this now. This will be imperfect. And for a little while, there’ll be more questions than answers,” he added of the swath of new measures.

The announcement caps an intensely difficult year for the state; Victoria last used its state of disaster distinction when bushfires were tearing through much of the region at the turn of the year. Andrews accepted that residents “will feel scared and sad and worried,” but told them: “We are Victorians — and we will get through this as Victorians. With grit, with guts and together.”

“I’ve had the job of leading this state for almost six years — more than 2,000 days,” Andrews said. “And today is by far the hardest day — and the hardest decision.”

He noted that there will be “common-sense exceptions” to the lockdown rules, such as if a person’s nearest supermarket is further than five kilometers away or if a parents needs to take young children with them when they go for a walk.

Exercise can be taken for up to an hour a day, with one other person, but still within five kilometers of a person’s home. All of the restrictions can be relaxed for “work, medical care or compassionate reasons.”

Patrolling police officers have been a frequent sight in Melbourne, a city of 5 million, in recent weeks — as authorities seek to enforce rules on leaving home and on the mandatory wearing of face masks.

Outside of Metropolitan Melbourne, regional Victoria will be placed under stage three restrictions starting at midnight on Wednesday meaning cafes, bars and restaurants must be closed. All schools in Victoria will also move back to online learning.”

All new restrictions will be in effect for six weeks from the date they are imposed.

The state has been battered by the coronavirus pandemic far more severely than the rest of Australia in recent weeks, but other officials are on alert as they hope to prevent a second wave in their states.

In New South Wales, Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Sunday “strongly recommended” that people wear masks in enclosed spaces where there is no social-distancing, at places of worship, and in areas with high community transmission. The state recorded 12 new cases on Sunday.

News Source: wtop.com

Tags: andrews said

Man Utd MISS Jadon Sancho transfer deadline as he is named in Dortmund pre-season squad and will fly to Switzerland

Next News:

Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber Says While COVID Cases Are Down ‘They’re Not Where They Should Be’

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami Beach’s mayor says while the downward trend of COVID cases is a step in the right direction, the numbers are still too high.

When it comes to cases, Miami Beach ranks 28th compared to other cities in the state. Mayor Dan Gelber says he’s seeing the infection rate drop.

“When it comes to our residents’ perspective, our numbers are going down and has never been as high as other parts of the county,” he said.

With nice sunny weather mixed with the popular beaches, he welcomes visitors but wants to make sure everyone is safe.

“Our city is sort of a playground for other areas, so 92,000 residents in the morning, we could have 200,000 in the city by the evening,” he said.

People are still stopping by testing sites, like the one near the Miami Beach Convention Center. Some chose the drive-thru, while others walked up.

Countywide, numbers are showing more and more people testing are getting negative results.

“The numbers may be going down in the region, but they’re not where they should be. We are better, but we are not good at all,” Gelber said.

  • Download The New CBS4 News App Here

The Florida Department of Health has recorded a 2-week average positivity rate of 14.6% for Miami-Dade. Broward’s two-week average is 10.7%.

Medical experts said that’s still a sign there’s too much virus in the community.

“New York is just thinking about opening schools and their rate is under 1%. Think about that. The virus has to substantially subside,” Gelber said.

The number of COVID-19 patients in the hospital is dropping. However, hundreds are still fighting for their lives.

In Miami-Dade, close to 430 people are in the ICU battling COVID-19. More than 300 of them are on a ventilator.

In Broward, numbers show more than 440 adults are in the ICU. It’s unclear how many have coronavirus and are on a ventilator.

“That’s going to take a bit more time. People need to keep wearing their masks and exercising physical distancing because that’s the only way we will have a shot at opening up,” Gelber said.

Other News

  • Patriots Signal Former XFL Powerhouse to Carry Roster to 80: Report
  • Superior-profile presenters lower as Community 10’s news division to axe positions and centralise news bulletins
  • Defense remains a disaster, Giants bats wake up too late in loss to the Astros
  • Asia Today: Melbourne virus outbreak steadies, Chinas falls
  • These 4 States Should Be Locking Down This Month, Researchers Say
  • 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Wisconsin voters head to the polls again after "the disaster of April 7"
  • Presidents Cup returning to Royal Montreal in 2024
  • Winter is coming: Why America's window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 is closing
  • Mauritius oil disaster: Race to drain stricken ship before it splits in half
  • Lebanese Prime Minister Announces Resignation Amid Ongoing Crisis From Beirut Explosion
  • Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, and Prince Andrews Social Media Accounts Were Removed From the Royals Website
  • Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and Prince Andrews Social Media Pages Removed from Royals Website
  • Incredible photo catches record-breaking shark breach showing great white soar into air to take out a ‘seal’
  • Trump Cleans Up Congress Stimulus Disaster And Lights A Fire Under China | WALL STREET MEETS WASHINGTON EP. 18
  • Lakers In-Season Pickups Remain a Bubble Disaster
  • Multiple Arrests, Fines Follow Anti-Mask Freedom Day Rally in Australia
  • Mansfield ISD Device Pickup Resumes, After Weekend Disaster Had Some Waiting In Line For 9 Hours
  • TikTok could SUE the USA this week as Chinese app declares war on Trump ban
  • How a viral tweet helped a Prince Georges Co. bakers business soar