This news has been received from: minnpost.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

In the Star Tribune, Libor Jany writes: “Minneapolis police are down at least 100 officers since the killing of George Floyd — more than 10% of the force — straining department resources amid a wave of violence and adding extra urgency to the political debate over its future. … MPD officials not authorized to speak publicly estimate the department, which is budgeted for 888 officers this year, could lose as much as a third of its workforce by the end of the year.

Josh Verges writes in the Pioneer Press: “The St. Paul school board on Saturday postponed a decision on how to start the school year during the coronavirus pandemic. Superintendent Joe Gothard on Thursday recommended all students start the year learning from home, saying the schools aren’t ready to reopen safely. … Board members, though, have concerns about the wide latitude the resolution would give the superintendent and the fact that his special authority would run through the end of the school year. They postponed a vote on the matter till Wednesday night, when they’ll hear a more detailed report on the district’s distance learning plans.”

For KSTP-TV, Crystal Bui reports: “After months of being closed, the Minnesota Children’s Museum in St. Paul reopened Saturday. … In preparation for the opening, museum staff have, among other measures, removed soft props and costumes to make sure they can sanitize everything. There are also new, upgraded air filters to also help monitor air flow. And there will be ‘wellness checks’ on staff, every day.”

For MPR, Mark Zdechlik says: “A week after Minnesota’s face mask mandate took effect, opponents gathered on the grounds of the State Capitol on Saturday to criticize Gov. Tim Walz’s executive order. A few hundred people turned out for the rally, with some carrying signs, others American flags, and a few with firearms visible. In announcing the rally, organizers said they’re not opposed to people wearing masks — just any statewide rule or law requiring it.

Article continues after advertisement

Says the Pioneer Press: “Buzz, the Como Zoo’s popular polar bear, has died. ‘Buzz’s health declined due to suspected neurological issues,’ the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory said on Facebook on Saturday. ‘After all treatment options were exhausted with the animal care and veterinary team, the difficult decision to humanely euthanize the 24 year old bear was made.’ Buzz, and twin brother Neil, were born in December 1995 at the Louisville Zoo and came to Como Zoo in 2001 from San Diego. They were named for the Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.”

News Source: minnpost.com

Tags: topics

New Study Finds Reporters In DC Might Be More Insular Than Previously Thought

Next News:

Condé Nast may face fight in bid to leave WTC offices

Glossy magazine empire Condé Nast is looking to move its headquarters out of the World Trade Center — a surprise shift that insiders say could spur a knockdown, drag-out battle with its landlords.

The publisher of Vogue, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker — which only finished moving into digs that span 21 floors at One World Trade Center in 2014 — is scouting out Midtown for a potential new home, sources told The Post.

Late Tuesday, Condé Nast’s parent company Advance Publications confirmed to The Post that it is “in discussions about bringing the lease at One World Trade Center into line with current market conditions and its ongoing needs at this location.”

Accordingly, the publisher said it “is considering alternative locations to address these requirements.”

The problem: The lease at One World Trade Center, signed in 2011 with rent payments starting in 2014, runs until 2039. The Port Authority, which owns 90 percent of the 1,776-foot-tall spire, has been stung by coronavirus-related revenue losses and can’t afford to give away the store.

Insiders add that Douglas Durst’s company, the minority managing partner, projects a cheerful public face but turns street fighter when the chips are down — as in its recent bare-knuckles battle with Amazon over an aborted deal on West 34th Street for a much smaller space than Condé has downtown.

Neither the PA nor Durst is in any mood to let the embattled media company just pick up its glossy titles and leave, according to sources.

“They’re going to dig in like hell,” predicted a real estate insider who’s not involved with either the media company or the WTC.

“They gave Condé Nast the moon to move there. Now, six years later, Condé says, ‘Well, we can’t afford it any more and Anna [Wintour] doesn’t like it any more, so we’re out of there?’ ” the executive snorted.

see also
Conde Nast mulls move out of 1 World Trade Center Conde Nast, which only finished moving into its HQ at...

Reps for both the PA and Durst issued icy “no comments.” Condé Nast’s real-estate brokers at JLL wouldn’t talk either.

Condé Nast’s owners, the Newhouse family, were hailed as heroes in 2011 for deciding to move the glamorous company to struggling downtown.

Even so, the Conde lease was widely criticized as a “sweetheart” deal using public money to restore confidence in lower Manhattan and the World Trade Center after the exit of companies after 9/11. Its starting rent at One World Trade of $60 a square foot was the same it paid at its previous home, Durst’s Four Times Square — a 1999 building that was advanced for its time but not in the same class as iconic One World Trade.

To coax Condé downtown, the PA agreed to reimburse Durst for the full remaining $200 million cost of its 800,000-square-foot Times Square lease until its 2019 expiration. It also promised Condé $46 million in tax rebates over the WTC lease term among other goodies.

Despite the advantages, Condé began unloading some of its 1.2 million square feet at One World Trade in 2019. It tapped JLL to sublease 350,000 square feet, including nearly 100,000 square feet for which it quickly signed subtenants.

Apparently that wasn’t enough for money-losing Condé, which shut several magazines before the pandemic and has furloughed and laid off hundreds of ­employees since.

Filed under condé nast ,  office space ,  one world trade center ,  world trade center ,  8/5/20

Other News

  • Report: 11-Year-Old Mauled By Brown Bears At Russian Zoo
  • These Photos of U.S. National Parks Will Leave You Longing For a Weekend Away
  • Judge Rules for Police on Several Claims in Taser Death Suit
  • Maryland Zoos 5-Year-Old Arctic Fox Timber Dies Suddenly
  • Maryland Zoos 5-Year-Old Artic Fox Timber Dies Suddenly
  • Spoilers For General Hospital: New Brook Lynn Quartermaine Revealed As Amanda Setton Takes A Leave
  • McConnell Allowing Senators to Leave Town Until a Deal Is Reached on the Next Stimulus Package
  • Philadelphia Zoo Needs Help Naming New Caribbean Flamingo Chick
  • Mayflower Cancels Newport Stop; Zoo Event to Be Drive-Thru
  • Coronavirus: Canada zoo struggles to return pandas to China
  • Cristiano Ronaldo shows off new buzz cut hair as Juventus star is hugged by his adorable kids in cute Instagram post
  • 11-year-old boy killed by two brown bears at Russian zoo
  • Miami Proud: Beloved Zoo Miami Employee Inspires Colleagues
  • Coronavirus : this punchy spot on wearing a mask does not leave you indifferent
  • Toy Story’s original Buzz Lightyear looked VERY different – and he even had a different name
  • Minneapolis Officials Prevent Putting The Dismantling Of The Police Department On Ballot As Opposition To ‘Defund Police’ Surges
  • Minneapolis commission stalls proposal to disband police force, blocking plan from November ballot
  • Jennifer Lopez, Alex Rodriguez Mets deal buzz grows louder, more news
  • 6-year-old Castro Valley-native Andy Soulard raises over $200K to help save Oakland Zoo