This news has been received from: alternet.org

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

The latest modification to the ever-changing Republican National Convention is one that seems to cater to the incumbent seeking re-election, and his endless war on the media: The entire four-day event will be closed to members of the press, according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Conveniently blaming the novel coronavirus, which a near-endless stream of Republicans have continued to minimize, an unnamed Grand Old Party spokesperson attempted to shift responsibility for the decision to the government of North Carolina.

 “[W]e are planning for all of the Charlotte activities to be closed press: Friday, August 21—Monday, 24th given the health restrictions and limitations in place in the state,” the email read, adding that “we are working within the parameters set before us by state and local guidelines regarding the number of people who can attend events.”

Press will also be unwelcome in “the room when the Republican National Committee meets to conduct official party business,” the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports. Unless Republicans change their plans, this rejection of the Fourth Estate from the convention is a pretty big deal. In fact, it’s the first time journalists have been barred from a Republican presidential nominating convention, ever. Donald Trump—also known as the guy getting the Republican nomination—has declared the press to be an “enemy” of the American people, and for months has minimized the dangers of the novel coronavirus. He’s also the guy who hasn’t been drawing huge adoring crowds, long considered more essential to his survival than even Big Macs. Balloons and streamers dropping on an all-but-empty arena—and caught on camera for the world to see, and share, and replay—would likely be more than Trump can take. Even before the ban on reporters, the RNC reduced the amount of delegates welcome to just 336, down from over 2,400 in 2016.

News Source: alternet.org

Tags: religious right

Judge orders release of body camera video in George Floyd case

Next News:

Trump's ban of Chinese apps has lots of precedent in other countries, and Apple and Google comply

Sundar Pichai and Tim CookSource: Reuters; Apple

President Donald Trump issued an executive order on Thursday ordering U.S. firms to stop doing business with popular Chinese apps TikTok, owned by ByteDance, and WeChat, owned by Tencent. 

This comes after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier in the week that he was calling on American app stores — which are dominated by Apple and Google — to remove "untrusted" Chinese apps.

"With parent companies based in China, apps like TikTok, WeChat, and others, are significant threats to personal data of American citizens, not to mention tools for CCP content and censorship," Pompeo said in a briefing with reporters on Wednesday.

It's unclear how the companies plan to implement the Trump administration's executive order, which becomes effective on Sept. 20, or the State Department program. Representatives for Apple and Google didn't respond to requests for comment.

But both companies have removed plenty of apps in response to foreign government requests. It may be unprecedented for the U.S. to ban apps on a national level, but other governments do it all the time.

Between July 2018 and June 2019, Apple removed 851 apps from its platforms in certain regions after legal requests from countries including China, Russia, Norway, and Saudi Arabia. When India banned TikTok and WeChat among other Chinese apps in June, the apps were removed from both the App Store and Play Store in that country within hours. 

Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed app removals in China in 2017 by saying: "We would rather not remove apps, but like we do in other countries we follow the law wherever do we business."

If the apps were to be removed from the U.S. stores, the vast majority of Americans would not be able to download TikTok, which was the No. 2 free app on Apple's platform on Friday, nor WeChat, which is used by Chinese-Americans to stay in touch with family or friends with over 1 billion users worldwide. 

China leads in App Store takedown requests

Although a wide variety of countries make requests, the leader by far in Apple's stats is China, the target of Trump's executive order.

According to Apple, China accounted for nearly three quarters of the takedown requests between July 2018 and June 2019, and 85% of the apps removed from Apple's App Store during that time period. The "vast majority" relate to pornography, gambling, and illegal content, Apple says. Google's Play Store is not available in China.

Activists in China have long pointed to Apple's App Store as a choke point that prevents Chinese residents from accessing news or privacy apps from outside the country. 

GreatFire, a nonprofit studying China's national firewall, launched a site called Applecensorship.com in 2019 that tracks App Store removals in various markets, tallying its own numbers about app takedowns and removals that focuses on total removals, not just removals with official government requests. 

In a letter to Congress last month, the group said that Apple uses its "walled garden operating ecosystem" to censor the App Store in China and around the world at the government's behest. 

In total, in the year-long period covered by Apple's transparency reports, 15 different countries requested a total of 1,311 apps to be removed in 150 separate requests over "legal violations," or alleging that the apps broke the law inside the country. Apple challenged all or part of 12 requests, and ultimately removed 851 apps from various country storefronts. 97 other apps were removed in the first half of 2019 when governments informed Apple that the apps broke Apple's own store guidelines. 

Apple doesn't specify which apps were removed, but does provide limited detail about why the governments requested the takedowns. In most circumstances, they are related to illegal gambling or content, or violating privacy laws, according to Apple. In 2019, the U.A.E. requested Apple take down 275 apps for "operating outside of government policies." Apple challenged the request, and didn't take any apps down. 

Apple's stats currently cover July 2018 through June 2019, so it does not include this summer's India takedowns.

VIDEO2:3802:38Trump signs executive order requiring government to buy 'essential' medicines from U.S. companiesHealth and ScienceRelated Tags
  • Apple Inc
  • Business
  • Breaking News: Technology
  • Technology
  • Mobile

Other News

  • Qimmah Russo Flaunts Serious Skin In Tiny Sports Bra And Barely-There Black Thong
  • Oregon trooper injured, 24 arrested in Portland protests
  • Mayor Lori Lightfoot Takes To Twitter To Scold Large Crowd At Montrose Beach; Its Called A Pandemic, People
  • Bella Thorne struts in a tiny bikini while on beach vacation with boyfriend Benjamin Mascolo
  • Oregon Trooper Injured, 24 Arrested in Portland Protests
  • TikTok is set to sue Trump Administration
  • Nixonian Hashtag #FridayNightMassacre Trends After Trumps Postmaster Announces Mass Firings at USPS
  • NPR Source: TikTok to Sue Trump Administration Over Ban
  • Republicans paid huge, strange sums to Facebook and a mystery company for "list acquisition"
  • WATCH: Crowd at Bedminster erupts after Trump praises them for refusing to social distance
  • Trump Goes Off on Corrupt Media When Asked About Club Members at News Conference Not Following Social Distancing Guidelines
  • Chinese-Americans say Trump's potential WeChat ban would be 'heartbreaking' and destroy international lines of family communication
  • Police: Rioters Throw Rocks, Chunks of Concrete at Portland Officers
  • Portland Police: Extremely Dangerous Situation as Demonstrators Attack Cops
  • West students win at National Beta
  • Portland protests persist as some bring flashes of violence
  • Trump Crowd Cheers When POTUS Defends Their Failure to Social Distance as a Peaceful Protest
  • Portland Rioters Storm Man’s Home While Fleeing Police: ‘Get The F*** Off My Property!’
  • Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders and John Kasich expected to join forces for first night of Democratic convention