This news has been received from:

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

The Portland Police Bureau declared an unlawful assembly Saturday night when people gathered outside a police precinct in Oregon’s largest city and threw bottles towards officers, police said.

Until that point, federal, state and local law enforcement had been seemingly absent from the protests Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The demonstrations — that for weeks ended with tear gas, fireworks shot towards buildings, federal agents on the street and injuries to protesters and officers — have recently ended with chanting and conversations.

Activists and Oregon officials urged people at Saturday night’s protest in Portland to re-center the focus on Black Lives Matter, three days after the Trump administration agreed to reduce the presence of federal agents.

Groups gathered Saturday evening in various areas around downtown Portland to listen to speakers and prepare to march to the Justice Center and Mark O. Hatfield Courthouse.

One of the more popular events, “Re-centering why we are here – BLM,” was hosted by the NAACP. Speakers included activists as well as Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley and Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty.

Merkley and Hardesty spoke about policies they are putting forward, including to cut police funding and restrict chokeholds.

“The next thing we need you to do is vote like your life depends on it, because guess what, it does,” Hardesty said.

For the first time since the presence of federal agents in Portland diminished law enforcement and protesters noticeably clashed Saturday night.

As one group of protesters gathered outside the courthouse another marched to a precinct for the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office and Portland Police Bureau.

Police stated that protesters threw glass bottles and directed lasers at officers. Just before 10 p.m., Portland police declared an unlawful assembly and told people to disperse or they may be subject to use of force or be arrested. Police could be seen charging, multiple times, at protesters in the area.

Story continues

At the courthouse, the scene was different. Around 11:30 p.m. hundreds of people remained, standing and listening to speakers.

By midnight, protesters again began to march through the streets downtown.

Thursday and Friday’s protests also attracted more than 1,000 people — both nights were relatively peaceful. In a news release early Saturday, the Portland Police Bureau described Friday’s crowd as subdued and said there was no police interaction with protesters.

At one point during Friday’s protest, a lone firework was shot at the courthouse. In the weeks past the action would be met with more fireworks or teargas canisters being dropped over the fence into the crowd. This time, protesters chastised the person who shot the firework, pleading to keep the demonstration peaceful.

The relative calm outside a federal courthouse that’s become ground zero in clashes between demonstrators and federal agents had come after the U.S. government began drawing down its forces under a deal between Democratic Gov. Kate Brown and the Trump administration.

Portland had seen more than two months of often violent demonstrations following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. In early July, President Donald Trump sent more federal agents to the city to protect the federal courthouse, but local officials said their presence made things worse.


Sara Cline is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on under-covered issues.

News Source:

Tags: portland police portland police federal agents

Our Top 10 Easy, Quick Plant-Based Recipes From July 2020

Next News:

Testing Royal Taboos: Inside Thailand's New Youth Protests

By Panu Wongcha-um and Kay Johnson

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Over two days of video calls earlier this month, about a dozen students from Thailand’s Kasetsart and Mahanakorn universities debated whether to break a taboo that could land them in jail: openly challenging the country’s powerful monarchy, according to two people on the calls.

Protesters on the streets and online have made a growing number of veiled references to King Maha Vajiralongkorn over the last few months as they push for greater democracy, but nobody had dared make a public call for changes at the palace.

The students discussed on the calls a Harry Potter wizard-themed protest and considered stopping short of open confrontation by only mentioning "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," a reference to Potter’s archenemy in the J.K. Rowling books, the two participants said.

The argument for a clearer – but riskier – statement won out.

On the evening of Monday, Aug. 3, human rights lawyer Anon Nampa, 35, took the stage at Bangkok's Democracy Monument and called for the palace's powers to be curbed, an extremely rare event.

“No other democratic countries allow the king to have this much power over the military,” he told about 200 protesters, with police standing by as he spoke. “This increases the risk that a monarchy in a democracy could become an absolute monarchy.”

While the country has been roiled by decades of political turmoil, street protesters have not previously sought changes to the monarchy, which the constitution says must be held "in a position of revered worship."

Any form of challenge to the monarchy was extremely rare under Vajiralongkorn's father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died in 2016 after 70 years on the throne.

Neither Anon nor any of the protesters have been charged with breaking Thailand’s ‘lese majeste’ law, which punishes criticism of the monarchy by up to 15 years in prison.

However, on Friday Aug. 7 police said Anon was taken into custody and charged with several offences relating to a separate protest on July 18, including "raising unrest and disaffection amongst the people,” which carries a maximum seven-year sentence.

Anon has denied all charges, said his lawyer Weeranan Huadsri. He was freed on bail on Saturday.

The Royal Palace declined to comment on the protests or the more outspoken calls for royal powers to be curbed.

Defence Ministry spokesman Kongcheep Tantrawanit said: “Don't draw the monarchy into conflict, it is not appropriate. The monarchy is a centre of unity for the Thai people.”  


Anon’s open call for reform underscored the scale and speed of change in Thailand as some members of a new generation take on an establishment tied to the close relationship between the palace and the army. The king, a former army officer, is officially commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

“This is an issue that people want to talk about,” said Patsalawalee Tanakitwiboonpon, a 24-year-old engineering student at Mahanakorn University who helped plan and spoke at the protest on Monday. “It has been swept under the rug for so long. So we think it is better if we can talk about this issue rationally and in the open.”

The latest series of protests have grown from a handful of peaceful, online-organized flash mobs, mostly on university campuses, to dozens of street demonstrations across Thailand and millions of people following hashtags online such as #FreeYouth.

The reaction from authorities, so far, has been limited. Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who first took power in a 2014 military coup, told reporters on Aug. 4, the day after Anon’s speech, that the government was open to talking to the students. He said on June 15 that the king had requested no prosecutions under the lese majeste law.

Army chief Apirat Kongsompong was not so conciliatory. In a speech to cadets on Aug. 5, he said:  "COVID is a curable disease, but hating the nation, hating one's own country, this a disease that is not curable."

On Aug. 4, the day after the protest, Anon told Reuters he was “not too worried” about being arrested. He had planned to speak out about the monarchy at two further protests in coming days, according to his Facebook page.

The police said in a statement on Friday that Anon and another organizer were arrested because it had received complaints about the July 18 protest and that an investigation was under way. Police declined to say who had complained or describe the nature of the complaints.

The police did not explain why Anon had not been charged under the lese majeste law for his speech at the Aug. 3 protest.


Even though King Vajiralongkorn spends much of his time in Germany, his image is pervasive in Thailand. Gold-framed royal portraits look down on city streets. Cinemas play a royal anthem at which audiences are traditionally expected to stand.

Many Thai conservatives say the bond between the monarchy and army is a guarantee of stability. The military strongly supports the palace's position as Thailand’s highest moral authority, with its head taking an unprecedented public oath last year to only support a government that backs the monarchy.

Some analysts say the military uses its close association with the monarchy to justify its prominent role in Thai politics. Ex-army chief Prayuth has appointed three retired military leaders to cabinet positions and more than a third of Senate seats are held by current or former military officers.

Meanwhile, the king has strengthened his constitutional powers since he took the throne in 2016. In his speech, Anon gave two examples of the king accruing powers he described as incompatible with democracy: Prayuth’s government transferring two army units to the king’s personal control in 2019 and moving the crown’s vast property holdings into the king’s name in 2017.

"Yes, I am afraid, but if we don't come out to talk about what is necessary then the problems will continue,” said student Thanapol Panngam, 27, one of the organizers of Monday’s protest.

So far, only a handful of the dozens of student protest groups have openly criticised the monarchy, but they are united in demanding change after a disputed election last year which allowed former junta leader Prayuth to retain power. Critics say the election was pre-determined by rules written by the military that automatically gave Prayuth a significant number of votes. Prayuth says the vote was fair.

"Our main ideology is to promote democracy," said Jutatip Sirikhan, 21, president of the Student Union of Thailand, which has helped organise the protests and has not criticised the palace.

The protests took off around the beginning of this year after courts banned the opposition Future Forward party, which had emerged from obscurity to a surprisingly strong third place in elections, helped by wide youth support for its call to end the military’s dominance over the country’s politics.

"How's the weather in Germany?" read one placard at one of the first campus protests in Bangkok in February, a seemingly innocuous question but one that most Thais would recognise as a reference to Vajiralongkorn spending more time in Bavaria than Bangkok.

Then the new coronavirus halted the protests as Thailand locked down.

But from their phones and laptops back home, the activists kept up the pressure online - and with it the questioning of the monarchy.

In March, #whydoweneedaking? was used more than 1 million times on Thai-language Twitter. A Thai-language Facebook group that often mocks the monarchy has attracted more than 850,000 members.

During the lockdown, the students were also planning their next moves. "There were Zoom meetings that would include more than a dozen people, and they would go on for hours," recalled Jutatip.

Protesters reappeared on the streets in force on July 18, spurred on by anger at economic pain caused by the collapse in tourism due to the coronavirus and the apparent kidnapping of an exiled Thai activist - the latest of several to disappear. Human rights groups say Wanchalearm Satsaksit, 37, was grabbed by unknown assailants in Cambodia in June and has not been seen since. The government and military have denied involvement.


The latest youth-led demonstrations resemble pro-democracy student movements of the 1970s, some analysts say.

Thailand has seen repeated cycles of military intervention: there have been 13 successful coups since the end of absolute royal rule in 1932. King Bhumibol intervened in 1973 and 1992 to quell tensions after crackdowns by military rulers killed protesters.

Not all young Thais are on the same side. Pro-democracy protests have been met with royalist defenders of the government staging their own, smaller rallies.

“Many Thais have been concerned about offensive things against the monarchy,” said Totsapol Manoonyarat, a royalist former vocational student who said he was inspired by love of the king to join a counter-protest in Bangkok.

Stark divisions pose a dilemma for the government, some analysts say.

"If they crack down on critics, they risk creating a backlash," said Matthew Wheeler, senior Southeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group. "But if they let it slide, there's a risk the taboo will crumble."

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um and Kay Johnson in Bangkok; Editing by Matthew Tostevin and Bill Rigby)

Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.

Other News

  • Algerian reporter sentenced to 3 years over protest coverage
  • Riot declared in Portland for second night in row
  • Lebanons justice minister resigns in protest after deadly blast, the third minister to quit
  • Riot Swiftly Declared for Portland Protest at Union Building
  • Riot swiftly declared for Portland protest at union building
  • WATCH: Famed Pastor John MacArthur, Reportedly Threatened By LA For Holding Indoor Services, Welcomes Assembly To ‘Peaceful Protest,’ Triggers Standing Ovation
  • Hundreds rally against detention of Thai protest leaders
  • Lance Armstrong Bike Shop Cuts Off Police Following Black Lives Matter Protest
  • Father of Michael Brown Jr. attends Breonna Taylor protest in Louisville, Kentucky
  • Louisville police crack down on protest caravans
  • Black protesters in Portland struggling to have their voice heard
  • Three Amazon Tribesmen in Peru Killed During Protest Against Oil Firm
  • Riot declared after Portland protesters set police union building on fire
  • Portland Police Union set ablaze AGAIN and officers attacked as unrest continues
  • Elderly Portland woman confronts protesters, gets splattered with paint
  • Portland officials declare riot, force protesters away from burning police union office
  • Beirut cop killed in anti-government clashes as Macron calls on world to help
  • Elderly Portland Women Hailed As Neighborhood Heroes After Standing Up To Antifa
  • Portland Police declare a riot after people tried to start a fire at police office