This news has been received from:

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

EIGHT Marines and a sailor are believed to be dead after an amphibious assault vehicle sank several hundred feet during a routine training session.

A search and rescue operation for the missing marines has come to an end nearly two days after The Marine Expeditionary Force announced that the Navy and Coast Guard were searching for sailors.

11Searching was ceased as both the MEU and Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) determined there was 'little probability of a successful rescue'Credit: 15th MEU / Twitter 11The Navy and Coast Guard had been searching for the missing sailors since ThursdayCredit: Public Domain 11A search and rescue operation for the missing marines has come to an endCredit: 15th MEU / Twitter

The MEF revealed early Sunday that the "15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), I Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF), and the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG)" concluded their extensive 40-hour search for seven missing marines and one sailor.

Col. Christopher Bronzi, 15th MEU Commanding Officer, said in a Sunday press release: "It is with a heavy heart, that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort.

“The steadfast dedication of the Marines, Sailors, and Coast Guardsmen to the persistent rescue effort was tremendous.”

Searching was ceased as both the MEU and Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) determined there was "little probability of a successful rescue."

The fatal accident occurred during a training exercise at 5.45pm on Thursday near San Clemente Island, and involved members of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

11 11The 30-ton tracked AAVs are armored personnel carriers used to get Marines from ship to shoreCredit: AP:Associated Press Training for an amphibious assault took a tragic turn off California (stock image)

The 15th MEU is based at the Marine Corps Camp Pendleton training centre on the West Coast.

During routine training on July 30 near the island, the amphibious assault vehicle (AAV) began taking on water - with 15 marines and one sailor on board.

"Of the 16 services members, eight members were rescued, one died, and two others are in critical condition at a local hospital," the MEF revealed Sunday.

One Marine was pronounced dead at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, California.

The accident occurred off San Clemente, California The Marine Expeditionary Force is the Marine Corps’ main warfighting organization

All but one of the 15 service members training in the amphibious vehicle were Marines, while the other was a sailor.

The 30-ton tracked AAVs are armored personnel carriers used to get Marines from ship to shore.

More than 1,000 square nautical miles were searched by the Marine Corps, Navy, and and Coast Guard.

"Our thoughts and prayers have been, and will continue to be with our Marines' and Sailor's families during this difficult time," Bronzi said.

"As we turn to recovery operations we will continue our exhaustive search for our missing Marines and Sailor." 

An investigation underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.

"The names of the Marines and Sailor will be released 24-hours after next of kin notification," the MEF stated.

The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) provides a sea-based Marine Air-Ground Task Force Amphibious assault vehicles (AAV) were being used in the exercise (stock image)

Thursday's fatality comes one year after a Marine was killed and six others were injured when their light-armored vehicle rolled at Camp Pendleton during a training drill.

The Marines were with the 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, when the death happened in May 2019.

And in September 2011, two Marines aboard a helicopter were killed when the aircraft crashed during a training mission at a Southern California military base.

The two-person AH-1W “Cobra” helicopter went down in the southeast corner of Camp Pendleton, which is 40 miles north of San Diego.

The Marine Expeditionary Force is the Marine Corps’ main warfighting organization.

The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) had been training off San Clemente, California Most read in NewsHOUSE OF HORRORS'Haunted’ Louisiana mansion FREE to anybody brave enough to live in itVIRUS LEAKChinese scientist who fled to US claims coronavirus came from a 'military lab'‘A SNOB’Obama's half-brother rips ‘cold and ruthless’ sibling and urges US to vote TrumpPRES CLAIMSBill Clinton flew to Epstein 'orgy island' with 'two young girls', docs claimBreaking'ONE OF A KIND'Actor Wilford Brimley who starred in Cocoon and True Grit dies aged 85TIK OFFTikTok is ‘national security threat’ & Trump will make decision on ban within 24hrs

There are three such groups which are made up of ground, air and logistics forces.

The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) provides a "forward deployed, flexible sea-based Marine air-ground task force," according to its website.

The unit is skilled in conducting amphibious operations, crisis response and contingency operations.

This includes "enabling the introduction of follow-on forces and designated special operations to support the theater requirements of combatant commanders."

US Marines participate in AAV beach landing training during Exercise Iron Fist on Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California in January, 2020

News Source:

Tags: navy us navy marine expeditionary force amphibious assault amphibious assault the marine corps missing marines missing marines camp pendleton marines and marines and

Judge orders release of body camera video in George Floyd case

Next News:

USA :Survive the patera, die as a bather three weeks after arriving

Puerto del Rosario (Fuerteventura), Aug 9 (EFE) .- He managed to reach Fuerteventura in an inflatable boat on July 17 after hours at sea trying to emigrate to Europe, three weeks later, this Saturday, he died drowned in the Great Corralejo beaches, in the north of the island, while taking a bath.

He is a young sub-Saharan origin, who had once managed to save himself from the dangers of the sea thanks to a Maritime Rescue plane, the Sasemar 103.

The device sighted the boat in which he was traveling with 60 other people, including twelve women and a baby, after that noon the Civil Guard received the notice that a dinghy had left El Aaiún, in the Sahara, at dawn towards the Canary Islands.

After reaching land, the young man had to spend weeks isolated in a ship owned by the Island Council, on the outskirts of Puerto del Rosario, like the rest of the immigrants in patera who arrive in Spain, as required by the Ministry of Health due to the current health situation due to covid-19.

Of the 61 people traveling on board in the dinghy, 51 were carriers of the covid-19 coronavirus, the tests revealed.

For a few days, the young man had been staying at the Misión Cristiana Moderna shelter, the evangelical church that, together with the Red Cross, is in charge of caring for immigrants who arrive by boat in Fuerteventura in recent months.

Pastor Ángel Hernández, from Misión Cristiana Moderna, has confirmed the news to Efe and, visibly affected, regretted what happened, while insisting that in the classes given to these young people in the shelter they insist “that if they go to the beach, be careful with the currents, because many do not know how to swim ”.

At 12.55 pm, the Emergency Coordination Center (CECOES) 112 of the Canary Islands Government received an alert in which it was reported that several people had entered the water, but that they had not been seen leaving.

After the call, the beach service began the search by land and sea with the support of a jet ski and a helicopter.

Finally the young man was located several meters from the coast by a water biker, who took him to shore.

The emergency teams, who were on the beach, verified that he had signs of drowning and was in cardiorespiratory arrest, for which they performed resuscitation maneuvers that were unsuccessful.

Eloy Vera

(c) EFE Agency

Other News

  • PGA Championship: Tiger Woods Faces Sunday Final Round Far From the Lead
  • Woods Faces Another Sunday at a Major With Little Hope
  • Bodies of Marines and sailor recovered from the seafloor off San Clemente Island
  • Woods faces another Sunday at a major with little hope
  • Cam Newton Has Chilly Response for Critical Anonymous NFL Coach
  • Miami : They ask for the release of the orca Lolita, after half a century locked up in the Miami aquarium Telemundo Miami (51)
  • Male Karen is so upset by social distancing that he scrapes 6-feet reminder stickers off store floor
  • Remains of missing Marines, sailor recovered after training accident near California coast
  • USA :The orca Lolita, half a century locked up in Miami
  • Remains of Marines, sailor recovered after accident during training exercise
  • Tired of Zoom calls? Company offers at-home hologram machines
  • Remains of missing Marines, sailor recovered after training accident near San Clemente Island
  • PGA Championship: Tiger Woods Struggles to Make Cut
  • Remains of missing Marines, sailor recovered from sunken amphibious vehicle off Southern California coast
  • Trump Says Hell Take Executive Action If Democrats Continue to Hold This Critical Relief Hostage
  • Man in critical condition after overnight crash on the West Side, police say
  • Remains recovered after California Marine tank sinks
  • US Delivering Critical Emergency Aid to Lebanon
  • Remains of Marines, sailor recovered from amphibious vehicle sunk off California coast