Aug 02, 2020
Mexico arrests violent gang leader known for emotive videos
This news has been received from: wtop.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican police and military forces said Sunday they have arrested the leader of the Santa Rosa de Lima gang who spread violence through north-central Mexico and fought a years-long bloody turf battle with the Jalisco cartel.
The armed forces and officials in the state of Guanajuato said they had captured José Antonio Yépez Ortíz, better known by his nickname “El Marro,” which means “The Sledgehammer.”
Yépez Ortíz was unusual among gang leaders because he posted videos with emotional calls to his followers, including one in June showing him appearing to cry after several of his supporters and relatives were arrested. In another video, he threatened to join forces with the Sinaloa cartel to defeat Jalisco, Mexico’s fastest-rising drug cartel.
Yépez Ortíz had been the subject of massive manhunts for years, and was caught along with five other suspects allegedly holding a kidnapped businesswoman.
His Santa Rosa gang was not a drug cartel, but rather a powerful, violent gang that grew up in a farming hamlet of the same name in north-central Guanajuato state by stealing fuel from government pipelines and refineries and robbing freight from trains.
The turf battle with Jalisco turned the industrial hub of Guanajuato, with its foreign auto plants and parts suppliers, into the most violent state in Mexico.
The Santa Rosa gang was also unusual in that it tried to build a support network among local residents by allowing them to take a minor share in the spoils of the robberies. But when the trains and pipelines became better-guarded, the gang turned to widespread extortion and kidnapping.
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
News Source: wtop.com
New York : Lack of ballots forces the suspension of primary elections in Puerto Rico
The elections in Puerto Rico were suspended.
Photo: RICARDO ARDUENGO / . / .
The State Elections Commission (CEE) of Puerto Rico officially announced this Sunday the suspension of the primaries that will continue next weekend, after 59 of 110 precincts did not receive the ballots.
The main parties on the island, the New Progressive Party (PNP) and the Popular Democratic Party (PPD), celebrated this Sunday primaries to choose their candidates for the general elections on November 3.
Related: Woman is raped by five men in Puerto Rico
In the schools that yes they received the ballots, and as indicated throughout the day, the eight hours of opening will be fulfilled, whatever the hour, explains a resolution of the EEC.
“Eight hours will be guaranteed so that voters can exercise their right to vote. On the contrary, those electoral precincts where voting has not started at 1:45 pm, the election will be suspended until next Sunday, August 16, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm ”, reads the resolution.
“The disclosure of preliminary results of any school, unit or precinct is strictly prohibited. The electronic scrutiny machines will be turned off without disclosing any results ”, indicates the resolution approved unanimously.
The presidents of the PPD and PNP, Aníbal José Torres, and Thomas Rivera, respectively, had previously requested the suspension.They ask for the resignation of the head of the EEC
For her part, the governor of Puerto Rico, Wanda Vázquez, has requested the resignation of Juan Ernesto Dávila, president of the EEC.
Dávila, in statements to the local station WKAQ 580 AM, said that he will not resign, despite the voices that, like that of Governor Vázquez, cry out for it.
He also held the electoral commissioners of both parties responsible for what happened.
Regarding the situation, he explained that it was due to the fact that, despite the fact that 90% of the ballots were already ready, the delay occurred in the packaging of the electoral materials.
Related: Puerto Rico and DC are included in the mandatory quarantine list to travel to New York
At a press conference, Wanda Vázquez, who is contesting the candidacy for the governor of Puerto Rico with Pedro Pierluisi (Governor for a few days after the departure of Ricardo Rosselló in the summer of 2019), said that with the suspension, the EEC “has recognized its inability to handle this process … They lied to the people of Puerto Rico.”
“The control of the ballots, their printing and the departure of the trucks is the absolute responsibility of the EEC,” added Vázquez.
“Let no one have the slightest doubt that, as governor, I will not allow the rights of citizens to be trampled on. Given the development of today’s events, the correct thing is that the vote of everyone who voted is protected. Every citizen who could not vote today must also be guaranteed that they can do so next Sunday, “she said.
For its part, the Fiscal Oversight Board (JSF) for the island, he said that “it is deeply shocked by the dysfunctional voting process that is taking place in today’s primaries in Puerto Rico. Elections are the very foundation of democracy and what the people of Puerto Rico experienced today is unacceptable. “
Today’s outages are the result of inefficient organization at an agency that only two weeks ago had trouble getting the ballots printed for an election originally scheduled to take place on June 7. This is not a problem of lack of funds. The funds for the voting materials were approved on March 16, ”he said in a statement.
A total of 2.3 million voters They could exercise their right to vote this Sunday.
For next weekend the arrival of a tropical wave is expected.
A week ago the arrival of a tropical storm resulted in the death of one person, floods and the loss of energy service for half a million people.