Aug 02, 2020
Mexico Arrests Violent Gang Leader Known for Emotive Videos
This news has been received from: usnews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican police and military forces said Sunday they have arrested the leader of the Santa Rosa de Lima gang who spread violence through north-central Mexico and fought a years-long bloody turf battle with the Jalisco cartel.
The armed forces and officials in the state of Guanajuato said they had captured José Antonio Yépez Ortíz, better known by his nickname “El Marro,” which means “The Sledgehammer.”
Yépez Ortíz was unusual among gang leaders because he posted videos with emotional calls to his followers, including one in June showing him appearing to cry after several of his supporters and relatives were arrested. In another video, he threatened to join forces with the Sinaloa cartel to defeat Jalisco, Mexico's fastest-rising drug cartel.
Yépez Ortíz had been the subject of massive manhunts for years, and was caught along with five other suspects allegedly holding a kidnapped businesswoman.
His Santa Rosa gang was not a drug cartel, but rather a powerful, violent gang that grew up in a farming hamlet of the same name in north-central Guanajuato state by stealing fuel from government pipelines and refineries and robbing freight from trains.
The turf battle with Jalisco turned the industrial hub of Guanajuato, with its foreign auto plants and parts suppliers, into the most violent state in Mexico.
The Santa Rosa gang was also unusual in that it tried to build a support network among local residents by allowing them to take a minor share in the spoils of the robberies. But when the trains and pipelines became better-guarded, the gang turned to widespread extortion and kidnapping.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
News Source: usnews.com
NBA bans casual acquaintances, social media friends from bubble under guest policy
The league will allow players on teams that advance to the second round of the playoffs later this month to bring a limited number of guests into the bubble at Walt Disney World resort. Aside from family members, acceptable guests include “longtime close personal friends with whom a player has an established, preexisting and known personal relationship,” according to a memo to players.
MASTERS TOURNAMENT TO BE HELD WITHOUT FANS IN NOVEMBER
The memo also detailed which potential guests would not be allowed in the bubble. Players cannot invite casual acquaintances, such as people that are “known by the player only through social media or an intermediary.”
Other banned guests include personal trainers, chefs, hair stylists, business partners and agents, the memo said.
PAC-12 JOINS BIG TEN, CANCELS FALL FOOTBALL SEASON
Approved guests will be allowed to join players inside the bubble as soon as Aug. 31. Most players will be limited to no more than four guests.
So far, the NBA’s strict health and safety policies inside the bubble have been a success. The league said Wednesday that none of the 342 players tested for COVID-19 over the last week had triggered a positive result. The league has gone four straight weeks without a positive test.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The Associated Press contributed to this report.-