2020-08-03@12:27:21 GMT
27 results - (0.000 seconds)

marines and:

    MILWAUKEE (AP) — A Wisconsin Marine is among those presumed dead after their landing craft sank off the Southern California coast during a training exercise last week. Pfc. Evan Bath, of Oak Creek, a 19-year-old rifleman, is among the eight troops missing and presumed dead. The Marines said Sunday they had called off the search that started Thursday when the amphibious assault vehicle sank with 15 Marines and one Navy sailor aboard. Eight Marines were rescued, but one later died and two are in critical condition. The 26-ton craft took on water and quickly sank in hundreds of feet of water making it difficult to reach. All of the Marines aboard were attached to the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based...
    (CNN)The military has identified the people presumed dead in an amphibious assault vehicle training accident off Southern California last week.Sixteen were on board the AAV when crew members reported they had taken on water during shore-to-ship operations near San Clemente Island around 5:45 pm PDT Thursday, the 15th Marine Expeditionary Force said in a release Sunday. Five were rescued and taken aboard the USS Somerset, but at least one died and eight others are presumed dead, the release said. Those rescued were wearing normal combat gear including body armor and an inflatable vest. Some were found floating, Gen. David Berger, commandant of the US Marine Corps, said. A file photo shows U.S. Marines with Bravo Company, Battalion Landing Team 1/4,...
    SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND (KABC) -- Seven Marines and one Navy sailor were presumed dead and identified Sunday after the military called off its search for the group, which went missing after an amphibious vehicle sank during a training mission Thursday.Navy and Coast Guard officials decided to end the effort after an extensive 40 hours."It is with a heavy heart that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort,'' said Col. Christopher Bronzi, the commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). "As we turn to recovery operations we will continue our exhaustive search for our missing Marines and sailor.''RELATED: 1 Marine killed, 8 missing after amphibious vehicle accident off coast of San Clemente Island, officials sayAll of the...
    The U.S. Marine Corps gives the rifle salute as Pearl Harbor Commemorates the 78th Anniversary Of World War II Attacks as Pearl Harbor Commemorates the 78th Anniversary Of World War II Attacks at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial on December 7, 2019 in Honolulu, Hawaii. (Photo by Kat Wade/Getty Images) An extensive 40-hour rescue mission for eight missing service members officially ended today. They are all feared to be dead. On Thursday, during a routine training exercise near San Clemente Island, 15 marines and one sailor were involved in an accident while inside an amphibious assault vehicle (AAV). Search and rescue efforts were immediately launched by the marines with help from the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard....
    The search and rescue operation for eight U.S. servicemen who went missing last week after their landing craft sank in hundreds of feet of water off San Clemente during a training exercise has ended, officials announced early Sunday. The seven Marines and one sailor who are missing are presumed dead, officials said. “It is with a heavy heart, that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort,” Col. Christopher Bronzi, commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said in a statement. “The steadfast dedication of the Marines, Sailors and Coast Guardsmen to the persistent rescue effort was tremendous.” With the assistance of helicopters, ships and boats, more than 1,000 square nautical miles were searched but it was determined...
    A search for eight service members has been called off and all are presumed dead, after their amphibious assault vehicle sank in deep water off the coast of Southern California.  The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit tweeted early Sunday that the rescue operation was now a recovery mission, after a 40-hour search that covered 1,000 nautical miles.  The seven marines and one sailor have been missing since their amphibious assault vehicle sank in 600-feet deep water near San Clemente Island in Los Angeles County about 5:45pm Thursday.  Eight more marines who were on the vessel when it sank were rescued from the water, and one died in hospital.  The troops were wearing full combat gear and flotation devices at the time...
    EIGHT Marines and a sailor are believed to be dead after an amphibious assault vehicle sank several hundred feet during a routine training session. A search and rescue operation for the missing marines has come to an end nearly two days after The Marine Expeditionary Force announced that the Navy and Coast Guard were searching for sailors. 11Searching was ceased as both the MEU and Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) determined there was 'little probability of a successful rescue'Credit: 15th MEU / Twitter 11The Navy and Coast Guard had been searching for the missing sailors since ThursdayCredit: Public Domain 11A search and rescue operation for the missing marines has come to an endCredit: 15th MEU / Twitter The MEF revealed early Sunday that...
    Nine Marines have been presumed "dead" and two are in "critical" condition after an amphibious assault vehicle sank several hundred feet during a training session. A search and rescue operation for the missing marines has come to an end nearly two days after The Marine Expeditionary Force announced that the Navy and Coast Guard were searching for sailors. Training for an amphibious assault has taken a tragic turn off California (stock image) 2This photo is of a search and rescue swimmer assignedCredit: Public Domain The MEF revealed early Sunday that the "15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), I Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF), and the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG)" concluded their extensive 40-hour search for seven missing marines and one sailor. Col....
    (CNN)Seven missing Marines and one sailor are feared dead after a training accident with an amphibious assault vehicle off the coast of Southern California. The effort to find them has concluded after an extensive 40-hour search following the incident Thursday, the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force said. Officials determined there was little probability of a successful outcome. "It is with a heavy heart, that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort," said Col. Christopher Bronzi, a commanding officer. Sixteen people were aboard the vehicle Thursday when they reported taking water in the vicinity of the San Clemente Island, officials said. In addition to the eight missing service members, at least one Marine was reported dead and two others injured...
    The submarine support ship HOS 'Dominator' has joined the search for seven Marines and one Sailor, who have been missing since their amphibious assault vehicle sank in 600 feet of water Thursday. One Marine has already been confirmed dead and two more injured after the vehicle sank in the water at around 5:45pm near San Clemente Island in Los Angeles County.  The Marines have suspended the use of the amphibious assault vehicles in water while they are inspected.   One sailor and 15 Marines were inside the 26-ton military vehicle when it sank into the Pacific Ocean.  Eight were rescued from the water, but the other eight remain missing and are presumed dead.  One Marine was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital La...
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — An amphibious assault vehicle carrying 15 Marines and a Navy sailor sank near a military-owned island off the coast of Southern California, leaving one of the Marines dead and eight missing, authorities said Friday. They were traveling in the vehicle that resembles a seafaring tank from the shores of San Clemente Island to a Navy ship Thursday evening when they reported the vehicle was taking on water, said Lt. Cameron H. Edinburgh, a Marine Corps spokesman for Camp Pendleton. Two Marines who were rescued were injured, with one hospitalized in critical condition and the other in stable condition, a Marine Corps statement said. Military ships, small boats and helicopters on Friday were searching choppy seas for...
    One Marine is dead and eight others are still missing after an amphibious vehicle training session went awry off the southern coast of California on Thursday. Sixteen Marines in the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit were on board the vehicle when it began taking on water around 5:45 p.m. local time. Three U.S. Navy helicopters and multiple boats from the USS Makin Island, USS Somerset and USS San Diego Coast Guard were scrambled to retrieve the Marines. "We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident," tweeted Col. Christopher Bronzi, the commanding officer of the 15th MEU. "I ask that you keep our Marines, Sailors, and their families in your prayers as we continue our search." “We are deeply saddened by this...
    CNN’s Jake Tapper closed Sunday’s State of the Union calling out President Donald Trump for his lack of public outrage on the alleged Russian bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. troops, and instead talking at length about subjects like his cognitive test. Tapper even referred to several recent interviews with the president and criticized the interviewers for not broaching the subject. “Nowhere in the president’s comments nor in the questions to him in these one-on-one interviews was there any mention of three U.S. Marines who are worth discussion,” Tapper said. “Staff Sgt. Christopher Slutman, Cpl. Robert Hendricks, nor Sgt. Benjamin Hines.” Tapper noted reports on the Pentagon investigating whether they were killed as a result of those bounties....
    Officials in Japan are expressing their shock and anger at the United States after it emerged that there had been a large scale coronavirus outbreak among Marines stationed in the country’s southernmost island of Okinawa. According to The Guardian, 61 Marines have tested positive for COVID-19 over the past couple of days. Worse still, the troops tested positive in two separate bases located on the island. Thirty-eight of the positive cases were reported to have come from Marines stationed at Futenma Marine air station. The other 23 infections were from troops stationed at Camp Hansen. The exact number of positive cases was only released after mounting pressure from Japanese officials persuaded the U.S. government to be open about the scale...
    THE army could be cut by as many as 20,000 troops under plans drawn up by defence chiefs, it has been reported. The move could slash the size of the army by a quarter, close airfields and remove helicopters out of the service. 2The army could be cut by as many as 20,000 troops under plans drawn up by defence chiefs, it has been reported Royal Marines commandos could also face an uncertain future under the plans with the brigade disbanded and its artillery, engineers and landing craft all axed in a worst case scenario. The drastic cuts are being lined up as part of Boris Johnson's defence and security review to be unveiled in the autumn, according to the...
    Igor Derysh June 29, 2020 9:54PM (UTC) President Donald Trump claimed that he was not briefed on intelligence that Russia offered Afghan militants bounties to kill American and Western troops, because it was not "credible" even though it was shared with Congress and U.S. allies. American intelligence officials concluded months ago that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing American and coalition troops during peace talks to end the two-decades-long war, The New York Times first reported Friday. : The intelligence was briefed to Trump and was discussed by the National Security Council in March, according to the report, which was independently confirmed by the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Associated Press. The White...
    THE US Marine Corps is testing a powerful electroshock weapon that can zap enemies from 300 feet away. Dubbed "Specter", the non-lethal projectile can be fired from a shotgun and downs targets using a taser-like electric shock. 2Artist impression of a Spectre projectile (white) with its parachute deployed The weapon is the brainchild of Colorado-based tech research firm Harkind Dynamics and is part-funded by the US Department of Defense, New Scientist reports. The makers of Specter (Small arms Pulsed Electronic Tetanization at Extended Range) say it can be fired from any 12-gauge shotgun. It's designed to incapacitate targets rather than kill them, with a range of up to 330 feet (100 metres) – roughly the length of a football pitch....
    ROYAL Marines are getting high-tech new uniforms as part of the biggest shake-up to the commandos since the end of World War Two. The amphibious troops will wear lighter, stronger, quicker-drying kit to aid them storming beaches and boarding enemy ships. 6The Royal Marines will soon be wearing this new high-tech uniform 6Marines will wear lighter, stronger, quicker-drying kit to aid them storming beaches and boarding enemy shipsCredit: ©UK Ministry of Defence CROWN COPYRIGHT, 2019 It is the first time the Marines, formed in 1664, will wear a different combat uniform from the rest of UK forces. It is in a new “MultiCam” pattern. But, in a nod to their past, they will revert to red and black commando flashes,...
    Click here to read the full article. Key point: The Republic of Korea Marine Corps could one day be used to take Pyongyang itself. More From The National Interest:  Where World War III Could Start This Year How the F-35 Stealth Fighter Almost Never Happened  Russia Has Missing Nuclear Weapons Sitting on the Ocean Floor  How China Could Sink a U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier In modern Korea’s relatively short history, amphibious warfare has played a key and pivotal role. The United Nations essentially liberated South Korea from invasion with a single amphibious stroke, and the country has maintained a large and powerful Marine Corps ever since. Now, a new generation of South Korean amphibious naval forces means the country...
    (CNN)The Navy's top admiral has directed the drafting of an order that would prohibit displays of the Confederate battle flag, a move that takes place several months after the Marine Corps ordered a similar policy and comes as the Army has said it's open to renaming bases currently named after Confederate officers."The Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. Mike Gilday, has directed his staff to begin crafting an order that would prohibit the Confederate battle flag from all public spaces and work areas aboard Navy installations, ships, aircraft and submarines," Gilday's spokesman Cmdr. Nate Christensen said in a statement."The order is meant to ensure unit cohesion, preserve good order and discipline, and uphold the Navy's core values of honor, courage and...
    Amid the civil unrest and protests across the nation over racism and police brutality, the U.S. Marine Corps has announced a ban of all depictions of the Confederate battle flag at its installations. This includes depictions on clothing, a flag, poster, bumper stickers, and mugs, Yahoo reports. Exempt from the ban are educational materials and works of art or historical displays of the Civil War where the flag is featured but not the main focus. READ MORE: Marine sentenced for threatening to assassinate Trump The ban does not apply to state flags that include the Confederate battle flag, like Mississippi, the report states. “The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups whose...
    (CNN)The US Marine Corps has ordered the removal of all public displays of the Confederate flag from Marine installations.The Marines made the announcement Friday, following growing removals of Confederate monuments and imagery across the country. "The Marine Corps shall remove the Confederate battle flag from all installation public spaces and work areas in order to support our core values, ensure unit cohesion and security, and preserve good order and discipline," the order reads.That includes eliminating any depictions of the flag, from individual offices and storage spaces to naval vessels and government vehicles. Depictions include things like mugs, bumper stickers and posters -- as well as, of course, the actual flag.Read More"The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted...
    The US Marine Corps has finally banned the Confederate flag from public and workspaces at its military bases — 155 years after the Confederate States of America surrendered to Union forces. “The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups whose divisive beliefs have no place in our Corps,” the military branch said in a tweeted statement. “Our history as a nation, and events like the violence in Charlottesville in 2017, highlight the divisiveness the use of the Confederate battle flag has had on our society.” The directive includes banning depictions of the flag on vehicle bumper stickers, clothing and coffee mugs. Marine Gen. David Berger had already announced the ban on the flag...
    The United States Marine Corps is banning the public display of the confederate flag at it's military installations in the U.S. and around the world.Those new guidelines were being shared with all marines and also posted on Twitter. Today, the Marine Corps released guidance on the removal of public displays of the Confederate battle flag.MARADMIN 331/20: https://t.co/WLW4m70LW1 pic.twitter.com/TKoYJUL7Vo— U.S. Marines (@USMC) June 6, 2020Across the nation many U.S. cities are removing confederate monuments and now the marines says all depictions of the confederate battle flag are banned.The new rules go on to ban confederate patches, posters, and even bumper stickers on private vehicles that marines might drive onto a military installation.NFL condemns racism, apologizes for not listening to players' earlier...
    Picture Marine Corps boot camp. You probably see a huge drill instructor screaming directly into the face of a determined young recruit. Well, all that’s on hold for now. Roughly 2,000 new recruits have passed through Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, and their experiences have looked quite different compared to those who came before them. After an uptick in COVID-19 cases during March first forced social distancing aboard the base, there have been a lot of changes: Training companies have been at anywhere from 50 to 75-percent capacity, with open bay sleeping areas measured to an exact six feet between every bunk; trainees and cadre are keeping their distance both...